Realisations

Ashwin's day started with Pugazh's call, confirming the time of his arrival. He had been inquisitive ever since Pugazh mentioned he wanted to have a conversation with him. It has been almost a week since then and Ashwin still has not figured out what it is regarding. He sincerely hoped that he did not do anything stupid in front of Pugazh that day, which might have given him the opinion that he was in love with Sivaangi. These thoughts were enough to keep himself occupied until dinner. Ashwin knew Pugazh took his brother role seriously and would not tolerate any nonsense when it came to Sivaangi. He was dependable. He admired Pugazh for that. He made dinner and waited impatiently for Pugazh to arrive.

It was around 6 30 in the evening when Pugazh arrived. He greeted him and the two men sat in the living room with a glass of juice. Pugazh remained silent, driving ashwin's curiosity further.

"Sollu machan, Edho thaniya pesanum nu sonna. Onnume pesama irukka?" Ashwin asked breaking the silence.

(Tell me bro. You wanted to tell me something. Now you are silent?)

"Yen da unna summa paakka vara koodadha?" Pugazh replied placing the glass on the center table.

(Why? Should I not come to see you just like that?)

"Illa machan, summa paakka varradhella ok dhan but enna dhideernu? Pudhusa irukku adhan ketten", Ashwin's tension was evident.

(No, I meant its okay to visit me without any reason. But why suddenly? It's new to me that's why I asked)

"Nee yen da ivlo tension aagura? Sadharnama iru. Naa un machan dhan. Edho school principal paakura maari bayapadura nee", Pugazh said.

(Why do you get so tensed? Be normal. I am your bro. Why do you look at me like your school principal?)

Ashwin always saw two different people in Pugazh- one was his friend, a very close one to whom he could share anything with. And the other was Sivaangi's brother- the one who always stood by her side. Ashwin very well knew that he was talking to Sivaangi's brother now and not his friend.

"Tension lam illa da, konjam curiosity adhan. Edho sollanum nu dhideernu sonna ana ippo varlam onnume sollala. Adhan ennava irukkum nu mandai kulla oditte irukku", Ashwin tried to sound cool.

(I am not tensed. Just curious. You told me you wanted to talk suddenly, and you still haven't told me what the issue is. That's what is running in my mind)

"Onnum illa mapla. Summa Sivaangi ya pathi pesittu polam nu vandhen"

(Nothing. I just wanted to talk about Sivaangi to you)

"Avala pathi enna? Edhavudhu mukkiyamana vishayama? En kitta enna pesanum avala pathi?" Ashwin shot his questions at Pugazh.

(What about her? Anything important? What do you want to talk about her to me?)

"Iru da. Yen ivlo kelvi? Unakku yen Sivaangi pathi pesina ivlo tension aagudhu? Enna dhan nenachittu irukka avala pathi un manasu la? Konjam porumaiya, velavariya sollu"

(Wait. How many questions? You are talking as if I am talking about her marriage to you. Why do you get so tensed if I talk about her? What is in your mind? Tell me clearly)

"Naa onnum Sivaangi ya en manasu la nenaikkala" Ashwin replied.

(I don't have her in my heart)

"Mapla, Sivaangi ya un manasu la nenaikkariya nu kekkala, avala pathi enna nenaikkura nu kekkuren", Pugazh clarified. Ashwin could not feel worse about making such a silly mistake.

(I didn't ask if you have her in your heart. I am asking what you think of her)

"Dei, edhuvum nenaikkala da. Sathyama" Ashwin tried to sound normal.