The Event

Ashwin decided to attend the function with gift for both of them. He knew it was a very special occasion for them and it would mean so much to them that he took the effort to gift them something on their special day. He picked up a beautiful saree for her mother from one of his designer's boutique and bought a limited edition model of watch from his favourite brand for her father.

Her parents saw him as their own son. They never distinguished between Pugazh, Ashwin and Sundar. He used to frequently visit their house during the show and also send them the new dishes he tries while practicing for the show. With back to back film offers and shoots after the show, he was unable to spend time with them like before. The dinner invite was a perfect occasion for him to relive the old days, he thought.

Sivaangi's family decided to dress in traditional attire for the evening.

"Solradha kelu Sivaangi, oru nalla podava katti matching accessories ella pottu vandha super ah irukkum. Eppapaaru crop top and skirt mattum podra. Oru change ku saree kattalam la? Evlo sarees irukku paaru unakku pudichadha eduthu kattikko", Sivaangi's mother insisted.

(Listen to me. If you wear a saree and matching accessories, you'll look gorgeous. You always wear a skirt and crop top. Why don't you try wearing a saree for once? I have many. You can choose your favourite.)

"Ma oru podava kooda nalla illa. Romba grand ah irukku. Enakku simple ah venum", she demanded. "Illati naa skirt and crop top dhan poduven."

(None of the sarees are upto my taste. They are too heavy. I want simple one)

"En kitta oru organza silk saree irukku. Purple color la. Adhu try panriya? Matching accessories kooda irukku", her mother offered.

(I have a purple organza silk saree. Would you like to try it? I'll give you matchin accessories also)

Sivaangi's eyes lightened up as she heard purple. She knew it was their color. There was no reason she could deny her mother's offer of wearing her purple saree to an event in which he would be attending. His complements for her looks meant so much to her. Much contrary to her usual self, she completely agreed with her mother's suggestions of accessories, hairdo and make up, leaving the latter surprised.

"Ennavo nalla mood inniki unakku. Naa solra maari dress pannirkka. Mazha peyya pogudhu paaru", her mother teased.

(You seem to be in a good mood today. Agreeing to all my suggestions. It's surely going to rain today)

Sivaangi looked at herself in the mirror, memories of her wearing a saree in the show flashed in her mind. It was a very special episode for both of them. It was the first time he complimented her for her beauty, but not in the usual way that he does. It felt different that day. Maybe because the day was brimming with emotions. Or maybe because he actually found her beautiful and not cute that day. She realised what falling in love was. Ever since, she has been waiting for a day to dress up like the way he liked. Today was a perfect occasion.

Sivaangi and her family started to the hotel for the dinner. She messaged Ashwin to remind him of the event once again and immediately received a response that he was on his way. She smiled to herself looking at the phone, eagerly waiting to see him.

Sivaangi and her family reached the venue, welcomed the guests as they started arriving. Sivaangi's eyes were fixed on the entrance, awaiting his arrival. A couple of minutes later, she saw him walk towards the entrance, dressed in a white formal shirt with blue stripes and beige trousers. Sivaangi could not believe that he wore striped outfit, just as she wanted.

Ashwin walked in and saw Sivaangi at the entrance; dressed in a pastel purple saree, with a simple antique polki necklace and jhumkas, her hair left lose with soft bouncy curls at the end, leaving him mesmerised. Ashwin could get lost in her eyes. They shared a brief eyelock until her parents welcomed him. Ashwin quickly came out of the trance as he heard her mother's voice. He smiled at them, and bent down to touch their feet as a mark of respect.