Chapter 3: Renée

Why follow when you can lead?

Arya: TW: brief mention of assault

I pulled up into the driveway just as my hands stopped shaking. Taking a deep breath, I opened the car door and stepped out. My mind played the events like a never-ending loop. Thousands of questions clashed in my mind. Did I lead him on somehow? Maybe if I'd been stronger, he wouldn't have touched me? Is it my fault?

As I raised a fist to knock on the door, it opened and I was instantly swept into a warm embrace. I wrapped my arms around Kit and buried my face in the crook of his neck. He held me silently for a minute, giving me time to gather my thoughts.

"Chris? Is that Arya?" Zack called.

"Yeah!" He answered pulling back and scanning me for any injuries. Gently, he tugged me to the living room; the others were sat on the couch, various expressions predicting extreme violence on their faces. I gulped- very glad I wasn't on the receiving end of it.

"Okay, so, I've contacted Blake and Wyatt- they said that they'll try and get as much information on Paulson as they can." Ethan said, a slow smirk spreading across his features. "And I've also called Renée."

I perked up. "You've called Rey?"

Rey is my best girl friend from university. I was closed off- choosing to only socialise with the boys. However, Rey crashed into my life- quite literally- and she is now one of the few people in my life I can trust. We've told each other secrets that we'd swear to take to the grave and we egged her horrible exes homes after bad breakups.

"BONJOUR IDIOTS!" The front door slammed open and she stormed in. Her blonde locks flared around her face, dark eyes glittering with mirth. She had beautiful light mocha-coloured skin and wore a cropped white shirt with ripped jean shorts.

"Rey!" I grinned, hugging her.

"Hey Ree!" She pulled away and scowled. "Now tell me the name of le crétin who hurt you so I can go kill him."

My smile faltered and I swallowed, looking down. If I hadn't gotten away-

"Hey." Rey said firmly, shaking me slightly. "Don't overthink it. It's not your fault."

I nodded, but didn't fully believe it, shuddering at the thought of his disgusting hands on me.

"Ree, get changed." Nick instructed, pushing me gently towards the stairs. "Then we will burn this outfit. Red is so not your colour anyways."

I nodded with a broken laugh. The cute red top I had on suddenly felt itchy and uncomfortable. Shivering, I went upstairs, grabbing a towel and some comfortable clothes. After the shower, I felt fresher, but the memory was still stark in my mind, like an itch that will never fully go away.

I slumped downstairs to the living room, curling up on the couch next and resting my head in Kit's lap. He instantly began combing his fingers through my hair, the action lulling me to a state of peace.

"So Ree," Ethan said in a soft tone- which was very unlike him. "Do you mind telling us what happened? Of course, you don't have to if you're not comfortable." He hastily added, a faint touch of colour dusting his cheeks.

I reached over and squeezed his hand. "I don't mind." Taking a deep breath, I tried detaching myself before reciting the tale. It would probably hurt less that way, right?

Wrong.

All the feelings I'd kept bottled up just overflowed like hot magma as I spoke. The fear, helplessness and rage consumed me until I was no longer sure of what I was saying. I vaguely noticed Kit had become unnaturally still, but I couldn't see anything through blurry eyes. Once I'd finished, I breathed shakily, averting my gaze to the floor.

"I'll kill him." Ethan growled, fury and hatred shaking his body.

"I'll help." Rey scowled, fingers curling into fists. "No one deserves to be treated like that."

"Ree." Caleb brushed strands of hair away from my tear-soaked face. "You did a good thing by telling us this happened and for getting away. I'm so proud of you."

I shrugged and gulped. "I-if he's done it o-once, he's p-probably done it b-before and he'll do it a-again. The next ones might not get away in time."

Kit held me tighter and I knew then we were thinking of the same memory.

We were eight years old and at the park. My mother was in charge of us, but left quite quickly when she received a call from work. Great parenting, right?

But Kit and I didn't mind. We made a plan to play for a bit, then find our way to his house and watch a movie when we got bored.

"Let go of me!" A little girl screamed. Exchanging panicked looks, Kit and I sprinted towards the sound. A man was hovering over the girl. Years later, the sight still haunts me.

"Get off her!" Kit screamed, tackling the man. Although he was titchy, he still had the element of surprise and the man was bowled over. I made sure the girl- who couldn't have been more than six- was okay. By now, other people had finally started to take notice. The police were called and the man was taken away.

The next day, I saw on the news that the man was the little girl's fathers friend and he'd been abusing her for three years.

I escaped from my nightmare, but others were still living theirs.

"-Arya?" Ethan snapped his fingers in front of my face, jolting me out of the flashback. He smiled apologetically. "Sorry, you were zoning out. I was asking if you wanted to order pizza?"

I shrugged, hugging my knees tighter. "Sure. I don't mind. Rey, you wanna join?"

She shook her head ruefully. "Sorry, Arie, I have to get back to work. I kinda... made a scene when I heard about your predicament." She winced, then smiled at me. "It'll be fine. I'll come visit you once my shift is over and we'll have a girl's night, sound good?"

I nodded. "Sure. Thanks Rey, I'll see you later. Hope it goes well at work."

"I'll walk you to the door." Ethan offered, standing up. Rey nodded and they left the room.

"Do my ears deceive me or was Ethan being... nice to someone?" Caleb blinked and exhaled forcefully. "Wow... I guess miracles do exist."

Ethan entered the living room, a big grin on his face. He raised an eyebrow. "Why are you all smiling? Seriously, stop it, it looks creepy."

I laughed. "Oh it's nothing... we're just excited at our ship being built."

End of chapter 3.

Qotc:

1. Thoughts on Renée?

2. Thoughts on the ship being built?

3. What's gonna happen to Paulson?

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)