New beginnings

Sage Hawthorne

I awoke to the dark of my room, I hadn't noticed before, but the room I was in had the curtains closed. I frowned at the hidden window, not quite remembering if I had done that or not. I shake my head and pet my hair down smooth, in my sleep I had tossed and turned, this place making me nervous.

I pulled myself free from the comfort of the thick blanket, my dress from yesterday had ridden up and wrinkled. I readjust my dress before walking over to my suitcase, in the events of yesterday I hadn't bother to unpack, in fairness I wasn't quite sold on staying at all.

I meandered my way through my morning routine, brushed my hair, changed my clothes to something more presentable and collected my notes for today's class on the 18th century. None of the kids liked my class very much, history seemed to be the most boring choice they ever made considering the blank faces and occasional snoozer. But I loved my job, reading and teaching about history was my passion, the past isn't as clear as we make it out to be, along the way some things got hidden or forgotten with time. I smile to myself as I picked up my laptop bag and headed for the door, I inspected the lock and was relieved to see it undisturbed. I wasn't sure if that feeling I was feeling is the normal reaction to a new environment, but I didn't want to waste time thinking on it when I had my job to do.

Making my way to the lobby was easy enough, trying to find my scheduled room for teaching was not. It was a room up stairs in the east wing, but as I stood in front of the staircase something inside me warned me not to go up there alone. I pased in front of the first step before stamping my foot down and headed up, my fear gave way and allowed me my steps forward, but the ever bubbling of danger never left. Once at the top I quickly read my notes and headed in the directions provided, it was a good thing I had remembered to take it with me as the halls seemed to twist and turn into themselves. My head gets dizy just trying to remember how many turns I had taken as I walked along.

Eventually I find it, to my surprise one student was already waiting outside the door.

"Chris?" I called to him, his sandy brown hair covering his eyes parts slightly as he turns his head towards me.

"Hey Sage, finally found the right door?" He teased playfully.

"I'm not that bad." I defended my self, he shakes his head as I unlock the door to my new classroom.

"Yeah yeah, says the girl who hit lost in a museum." I hated that field trip, I had been recovering from a nasty head cold and fell asleep while the tour guide had walked us around. Much to my horror I was left behind, I spent half an hour trying to find the exit let alone my group.

"Yes well, I had been recovering that day, in all honesty I shouldn't have been there in the first place." I continued, walking through the doorway and into the large room, on the front wall were giant blackboards. Towards the back were ascending rows of desks with seats. Sat before the blackboard was a large desk and chair, the desk seemed to be raised up on a stage, the height of it wasn't any greater then ten centermeters or so.

"Nice place." Chris remarked, he walked around the room, his hands tucked away into his jacket pockets.

"I agree, since you're here earlier then the rest, feel free to pick your seat." I offered as I placed my bag onto the large desk. I smiled to myself as I quickly began to scribble my name and the tasks the students would be focusing on for today's class.

Students soon came flooding in, some of them yawning and dragging themselves over to a desk.

"Good morning class, welcome to your fist history lesson." I greet with a smile, the only response I receive is a collective of groans.