Part 9 - On the run

Orion was buried deep in work when his door bursts open. He had expected that it was one of his wife's regular visits. However what greets him is not a black hair but a blonde one matching his own. Carissa walks hurriedly, her clothes and hair tangled in a mess. He could smell salt water on her.

"Why are you we-"

Carissa slams his desk angrily "Why did you send Manuel to Mhytica?"

Watching her sister in rage, Orion was baffled. She hasn't spoken to him about the engagement and yet she's furious because Manuel's away? He'd never seen her this angry before, her eyes glowed and her nails elongate, slowly digging into the desk. She's even releasing pheromones, challenging Orion. 

"I need someone to go there for diplomatic reason and he's the perfect guy for the job"

"Grrr" instead of retracting her nails, it digs deeper until the wood splint. 

Pricked by her pheromones, Orion instinctively let his out. Asserting dominance. "Stop that Carissa"

"NO!"

"I said STOP IT!"
There's nothing more infuriating than getting attacked by another's pheromone. It's like his skin's being pierced by a bunch of throwing knives. Both of them refused to back down, making the air heavy and polluted.

Dale came inside the room with Val behind her. She had ask her help knowing something like this would happen. Orion and Carissa rarely fight but once they do, it would take lots of people's voice to calm them down. 

"What the hell is going on here?" Val said, she covers her nose from the strong smell "Ugh"

Dale did the same and open the windows to let the pheromones out. Val pushed herself to come near them and when she glance at Carissa. She understood why he won't back down. He can't, not when she's about to rip his neck out. The resentment in her eyes are no joke. One of them needs to stop. Val place her hand on Orion's fist, he grabs her possessively and sat her down on his lap but he kept his eyes on Carissa. His arm squeezed her waist tightly. Damn that hurts. Val covered his eyes and starts whispering in his ears. It took a minute for him to calm down and when he opens his eyes again, he was back. Val sigh in relief.

"Now, what is this about?" she ask

"Ask her" he said.

Val turned her head towards Carissa "Care to explain?"

Dale placed a hand on her shoulder, her nails starts to retract but the fire in her eyes didn't subside "I'm going"

"What the hell are you talking about? Where are you going?" Orion remarks

"You can't stop me" Carissa turn around to leave.

"What do you think you're doing? Explain yourself!"

"No! I don't have to explain myself to you. I'm done living under your thumb. I respect and love you but you've kept me in a cage for so long that I've become a coward. And I hate myself for it. I'll make my own choices from now on"

"I-"

"And don't talk to me in that patronising tone. I hate it"

Orion tense at the word hate, he seems to be in shock of learning his sister's feelings. He burrowed his brows and close his eyes in pain.

"Okay, I get it. So- just talk to me"

"Do you?" She ask in return.

The siblings are not an emotional pair, they were raised to fulfill their responsibilities for the sake of the Kingdom even at the cost of their own feelings. He thought his sister understand, she never explicitly expressed her dislike. Sure, she might mumble but she always does her task and nod to everything.