chapter twenty six.

The following weeks seem to drag on forever. The jobs that Dominic had assigned us to were actually better than I had expected.

I had been positioned as a secretary on the floor below Dominic’s head office, whilst Oliver was an admin worker who dealt with all of the paperwork and technical side of things in the offices also on Dominic’s floor.

It paid better than expected as well. In spite of hating Dominic for what he had done to me, I couldn’t deny that he had really done us a huge favour. Perhaps he felt bad for never showing up to give me any money and using me purely for sex.

I still curious about Oliver’s relation to him though, as I had not yet discovered why he was owed a favour from him and now I had finally found the opportunity to ask.

We were on our lunch break one day in the building’s small canteen, Oliver was just about to chomp down on his bacon and lettuce panini when I suddenly blurted on the question.

“Um… how come Dominic owed you a favour?”

“What?” Oliver muttered, through a mouthful of bacon. If there was one thing I loved about Oliver, it was his class and good table manners. I sighed and repeated the question,

“Why did Dominic owe you a favour?”

“Oh… it’s a long story Becks…” He shrugged, swallowing down his food and waving off my questions. Whenever someone says that, it’s either because they can’t be bothered to tell you or there’s something big that they are hiding. I decided it was probably the latter, which only intrigued me more.

“Well I want to know…”

“Why?”

“Why not?” I huffed. I was confused by Oliver’s defensiveness and I now knew for sure there was something he wasn’t telling me. I dreaded to think what it was.

He gave me a sideward glance before giving up. He rolled his eyes in frustration and leant forward on the table with his elbows.

“Okay but you can’t say anything to anyone…”

“Why would I do that?” I frowned. It was obviously some big secret and I have always prided myself on being able to keep them. Plus I didn’t know anyone hear well enough to start gossiping with them.

“Never mind…” Oliver chuckled lightly, “Well… anyway Dominic’s a family friend y’see… him and my mum go way back…” This surprised me more than anything. A family friend? How come I had never seen him before? Or perhaps I had and just didn’t remember.

“Anyway he was on a business trip in Ireland whilst I was working there, so he came to visit me and… he… um… told me that apparently his wife thought he was having an affair.” My whole body tensed. He had a wife? I could not believe it. I felt even more used and dirty than before. I was used as a disgusting one night stand behind his wife’s back. I wanted to be physically sick.