chapter twenty five.

The flat that Oliver had chosen was beautiful. Our old flat didn’t even come close to its luxurious standards. The furniture was modern and stylish. The floor was wooden and clean. Everything just looked so wonderful.

“Whoa…” I breathed, glancing around its magnificent décor. Oliver was grinning at me from the other side of the room, seemingly pleased with himself. Evidently he was used to places such as this because of his time in Ireland, so this flat didn’t impress him as much.

“Like it?” He asked,

“I love it… you really didn’t need to spend this much… honestly”

“Money is meant for spending, isn’t it?” He shrugged casually. He was right. I guess I was just used to have so little of it, that money seemed much more precious to me. When you have nothing, you need to save all you can.

I ran my fingers over the polished ornate furniture and still couldn’t believe it this was real. Yesterday I was selling clothes on the side of the streets and being locked up in a cell and now, I had a glorious place to stay in. I turned to Oliver and gave him me a cheesy grin.

“I really do love you, y’know?” I giggled,

“Well… I am irresistible” He joked. I knew that Oliver and I would never be more than friends but it was still funny to joke about it. I think it was because I had once told him I had a crush on him when we were fourteen. That was before Wilf of course and my school girl infatuation soon faded when he came along.

“Right next on the list is to save that daughter of yours” Oliver announced firmly, as though he had made a list of things in his head.

Of course, I was unbelievably eager to go and get Gabi back and take her to our new home, but I was also very nervous. What if the children’s home had heard about me assaulting Joyce and going to prison? There would be no way in hell that they would let me see her and I don’t think I could take that kind of rejection again. Nevertheless I suppose it was worth a try.

***

“I-I don’t know about this…” I mumbled cautiously, biting my nails in anticipation as we stood hesitantly outside the children’s home.

“It will be fine… you’re her mum, they can’t keep you from her forever” Oliver reassured me, shoving his hands in his pockets as it was unusually chilly. However his encouragement did not help at all.

Yes I was her mum, but evidently that hadn’t been useful in the past. It still didn’t mean I could see her. Social services had always told me the last thing they want to do is take a child away from their mother. What a load of crap. You make one mistake and that’s it, your innocent little child is gone. It’s all so unfair.

I took a deep breath of fresh air and pushed open the double doors of the building, Oliver following right behind me.

I strolled up to the reception desk, whilst doing my best to emulate confidence. The same old woman I had seen last time was sat behind it. I don’t think she remembered me though as she simply smiled pleasantly.