chapter eighteen.

My luggage felt lighter than before, probably because now the food hamper was gone and I had abandoned a significant amount of my clothes at Sarah’s house.

I wheeled my suitcases down the street, totally ignoring the strange glances that I received from people. I couldn’t exactly blame them. I looked half dead and had everything I owned either strapped to me or trailing behind me. My body was aching, my eyes were sore from crying and I simply wanted to lie down and never get back up.

I was done. Done with everything. Nothing I did ever made a difference, so why should I keep trying? Everything was utterly without hope. I had to keep walking though. I had to keep on trying because in reality, I couldn’t give up. Giving up meant that I would never get Gabi back and I wouldn’t let that happen. Her smiling little face engrained on my mind made me absolutely determined to keep going, even if my entire body was begging me to give up.

It took me a while to find the bar in which I had been in last night, simply because everything looked so different in daylight. Also, my intoxicated brain meant I could actually only remember parts of what actually happened.

I sincerely hoped Dominic would be in there. He hadn’t given me a specific time to meet him but it wasn’t like I had any other place to be. I would wait there all day if I had to. He was my only chance.

But what if he had changed his mind? What if he was only saying he would help me because he was drunk? Or to get me to like him so that I was sleep with him? It was a scary possibility. If he bailed on me now, I didn’t know what my next steps would be in life.

After ages of tired walking, I finally managed to find the bar. Upon entering I noticed that it was mostly completely empty apart from two middle aged men sitting at a table watching football on a flat screen TV.

I scanned around in search for Dominic; however he was nowhere to be seen. It was pretty early though, I doubt he would come this early. He was most likely recovering from his hangover, like I was. So I decided to sit down in one of the booths near the back of the bar and waited. It was all I could do.

I noted that the place wasn’t exactly a bar. Now that it was daylight, I could see it was more of a pub, a boring one at that. There must have been some party going on last night to make this place exciting.

I then chose to take a look in my purse to see exactly how much money I had left. It was an incredibly pitiful amount. Two pounds seventy it came to, after I had counted it several times. I sighed,

I ordered a glass of water which luckily for me only cost sixty pence. Besides I was gasping for a drink. My throat was so dry, it felt like sandpaper. Plus it may help soothe my aching head.

I sipped at the water slowly so that it would last as long as possible. The refreshing liquid relaxed my throat and I slumped back in my seat. My eyes were extremely heavy now, because I hadn’t slept a wink the night before. I wanted nothing more than to drop off into a peacefully dreamy state.

But then someone entered into the pub and I shot upright in the booth. I squinted my sore eyes to take a look at him. From the back, it looked exactly like Dominic. It had to be him. It must be.