< Ch. 10 >

< If he doesn't get it by Saturday... >

< I'll be dead. >
(TW: HEAVY VIOLENCE(such as knives, and some blood), ANXIETY ATTACKS)

From then on, Edgar's father had been making arrangements to sum up the amount of money he owed the anonymous man, while Edgar and his dear beloved prayed for the best out of the situation. Victor found Edgar pacing around his room after coming back from an early shift. All he could hear from the anxious painter was:
< What am I going to tell Maple? Maple will be worried sick if she figured out this is happening.. Agh, why did this have to happen to me of all people?! >
Victor pulled a small candy out of his messenger bag and placed a hand on Edgar's shoulder, turning him around and placing the candy on his lips.
< Fear not, my beloved. I'm sure Maple will be fine for now, you have not to worry, I overheard your parents talking about the situation this morning, and they said that they've almost finished calculating the correct amount for this mysterious man. >
Edgar teared up happily as Victor pulled the painter into his arms, hushing his cries with a repeating "You'll be alright." Victor understood that Edgar must be overwhelmed with constant anxiety, he is being threatened, after all. To lighten up Edgar's mood a little, he whispered a question into his ear,

< Would you like to go out sometime this evening? >

Edgar responded with a soft "yes," and with that, a new plan was formed. Maple had been requesting this wonderful restaurant to Edgar many times, yet Edgar had never had the time to have a visit.
< Maple has told me about a small restaurant not far from here, could we plan that as our meeting place? >
< Of course. >
And that settled it, they both felt happiness for the first time in a week and were so excited to finally feel free again.. Little did they know..

He heard everything.

< Yeah boss, they're planning on going out on some lame date. Guess we really can't trust him after all, huh? >
A few mumbles could be heard from the phone that was held up to the man's ear. Responding with some blank "Mhm's" and "Alright's."
< Yeah, okay, I'll see to it tonight. >
The man said, hanging up the call and putting his phone back into his pocket.

< Time for some party crashing. >

The clock struck at 8:00. It was time for the two men to have some free time. Instead of dressing fancy like any other couple would, the two dressed up how they normally would. Just a casual hangout, to not cause any suspicions.
The two met up at the front door when they finished getting changed, Edgar was carrying a small messenger bag. Victor guessed it had his sketchbook in it, a new one at that, because Edgar only ever brings his sketchbooks to places like these if it's new or if he just came up with an idea. In other words, the two walked out and headed to the restaurant.
The restaurant looked pretty casual for the expectations Edgar was meeting, Maple did pull off a good impression of it when she was chatting on about it, but that was just fine. The couple walked in, found a table, and just enjoyed each other's presence and company. Edgar talked on and on about new painting ideas he had came up with while on break, and Victor listened. This had gone on for many minutes until Edgar caught a familiar sight in the corner of his eye. It was the silhouette of a slim, tall man in a hood. His eyes were bloodshot, as if he was a predator just meeting his prey. Edgar decided to hide his face with his hair, his breathing quickening in fear.
< Edgar, is there something wrong? >
Victor asked in worry. Victor was completely blind about the situation Edgar may be in right now, for he was facing the opposite direction of the window. Edgar laughed nervously, saying:
< Ha, it's nothing, really! J— .... Just trying to hide myself from people who may know me! Haha.. >
Victor's face then turned stern, warning anyone around him that he was serious.
< Something's wrong, I'm sure of it, you don't usually hide from people like that, and you certainly don't have breathing issues, if I'm not mistaken. >
Edgar glanced at the window again, the man was still there, staring at him. His face seemed to say "You're almost late," as it was true, it was a Friday evening. Edgar was so scared of what was going to become of him and Victor, how devastated Maple would be, what would be of Luca and Andrew, and anybody else who might possibly know him. Edgar was one of the most famous artists in the city after all, what would happen to the people who looked up to him? Victor sighed as he turned to the window. There was nobody there. The silhouette was gone completely, just lost in the darkness. That was when Victor knew something important was up.
< Ah— Uhm... I have to use the restroom.. I'll be right back, my love... >
Victor nodded as he watched Edgar walk hesitantly to the bathroom on the other side of the restaurant. He was about to turn back to the table until he saw someone walk towards the bathroom in the corner of his eye. Victor looked at this man closely. Tall, slim... unusual green hood with no sleeves... scary..
That was when all the pieces were put together. That was the man who kidnapped Edgar, the man who sent that anonymous letter, the man Edgar feared the most. Victor got up from his seat, rushing to the men's bathroom. As soon as he reached the door, it seemed that it was locked. Victor banged on the door in great worry, as he vowed to the moon and stars that Edgar's life would not be taken by the likes of this man. A waitress saw the man struggling and walked over to him.
< Sir? Is something wrong? >
Victor was frustrated, at first he just ignored the waitress and kept kicking and tugging at the door.
< Uhm.. Sir? The door should be unlocked— >
< MY BOYFRIEND IS IN THERE WITH A KILLER!! HE'S ABOUT TO DIE!! CAN'T YOU SEE?>
Victor finally snapped. The waitress teared up a bit, but didn't want to mess up her makeup, so she wiped away her tears with a napkin and tried to calm Victor down.
< May I try? I know where the spare bathroom keys are, so if it really is locked, I can quickly get them for you! >
Victor backed up from the door, he felt like he couldn't breathe and could pass out at any second from sheer frustration.
Meanwhile, inside the bathroom, Edgar was leaning on the sink sobbing, he hadn't even heard the hooded man walk in, for he was more focused on trying to not throw up, until he felt a hand cup over his mouth.
< Two hours before midnight, Valden, and you're over here gossiping with your cute little boyfriend. I said I wanted that money by Saturday, and you sit here acting like this promise never happened? I really shouldn't have let you go. I regret the pity I had for you. >
With his free hand, the man pulled a small dagger out of his pocket, holding it up to Edgar's neck, threatening that his neck would turn red with any sudden movement.
< I've heard that you really like the color red, Valden. I've seen a few of your red paintings. You seem a bit harsh with yourself.. Would you like to see that red again? >
The man let Edgar give no response as he suddenly lowered his dagger to Edgar's arm and cut him with it, ripping the fabric of his clothing and smearing the rest with a crimson red. Edgar cried out in pain, but yet couldn't be heard with his mouth being covered.
< Ah ah ah, didn't you like the color red, Valden? Why do you suddenly act like your life is in danger because of it? What did the color red possibly do to you? >
Edgar's eyes overfilled with tears of pain. He felt sick to his stomach looking down at his bleeding arm.
< Well, I'll just let you answer that question in person with the color red itself. Bye bye, Valden.. You were as useless as you looked— >
As the man was about to slice through Edgar's neck, Victor burst through the door, running straight after the two.
< Right, the boyfriend. >
The man mumbled as he stepped back from Edgar, suddenly putting on an act to pretend as if he hadn't almost cut Edgar's throat open.
< Well well, you were saved by the bell, Valden, I guess the next time we meet will certainly be tomorrow!! >
Victor tried grabbing a hold of the man's hood, but failed as he ran swiftly past him and out of the restaurant as a whole, disappearing into the night. Once again, Edgar felt hopeless and scared. Victor kneeled down close to Edgar and examined his arm.
< Why does this always have to happen to you? >
Victor mumbled as he pulled Edgar's head to his chest. Victor turned to the waitress, who had still been standing there, frantically trying to look for some other waiter or waitress to help, not wanting to disturb any of the other customers.
< Get anyone.. please! He'll pass out if we keep standing here helpless! >
The waitress respected Victor's wishes and kindly asked a costumer nearby if she could borrow their cellphone, the customer let her take the phone for a while, agreeing with the waitress that she take a look at what the situation was. The woman walked through the door of the bathroom to see Edgar in Victor's arms. The woman grabbed a nearby roll of toilet paper and wrapped a generous amount around Edgar's arm, as if she was bandaging it.
< This will help with keeping the blood inside your body until you get proper care. Oh you poor, poor souls.. I saw everything that happened as soon as the door was yanked open. Thank god that you weren't severely hurt, young man. >
The woman said as she continued to bandage Edgar's arm. Edgar winced at the pain but yet his breathing began to steady. Victor patted Edgar's head and thanked the woman many many times for helping him, to which the woman just patted them both on the head and retrieved her phone from the waitress.
In a short amount of time, medical care had come to the restaurant and had picked up Edgar and Victor to be taken care of. Edgar had passed out due to the overwhelming anxiety of everything that just happened. Victor sat at Edgar's side, praying that the single cut on his arm wouldn't be enough to lose him.
It had been at least ten more minutes before Edgar had finally woken up. He rubbed his eyes to let them get used to the sudden light. He had a sudden memory of what had happened before he passed out, frantically sitting up. Victor picked up his head and noticed the awakening of Edgar. A little bit earlier, Victor had bought some treats to eat while he waited for Edgar to wake up, so he pulled one out of a nearby bag and handed it to Edgar, saying:

< Don't worry, my love, you're safe once again. >