Chapter Fifteen:The Search And The Conversation

"What am I going to do?" Gou sighs. He's really messed things up.

"Talk to me!" Hau says sitting next him.

"Talk about what?" Gou responds.

"What happened on that beach with Ash? Why did you say no?" Hau asks.

"I don't know..." Gou mutters.

"You must know. Why would Professor Kukui prode you into confessing if you didn't know..." Hau says. "...you clearly have feelings for Ash. So, why did you say no?"

"I said... I don't know..." Gou mutters again.

"Listen! If you think you can stubborn your way out of this, then you've got another thing coming. Just look at my boyfriend. He's the most stubborn boy I know and he'll tell you that I'm annoying as hell and that I don't back down so, save your little 'hard man' act and just tell me!" Hau instructs.

Gou looks up at Gladion who nods in agreement.

Gou sighs loudly, "You wouldn't understand!"

"I wouldn't understand!? Tell him what happened when we kissed for the first time, Gladion!" Hau says.

"Uhm..." Gladion responds with slight embarrassement.

"Well, Gladion kissed me and then he freaked out about it and pushed me away." Hau recalls.

"I didn't freak out." Gladion interjected.

"You yelled at me!" Hau replies. "You kissed me then you yelled at me! I got quite upset because I liked him for a long time and I thought he felt the same way when he kissed me. Then when he pushed me away and yelled at me, I felt rejected, I felt played!"

"Oh my God! I said I was sorry!" Gladion huffed.

"I know... It was still horrible though!" Hau says.

"...I know..." Gladion responds defeated.

"So... Now you know that I'll understand. Spill the beans!" Hau instructs.

Gou rolls his eyes but decides it can't hurt.

*Gou explains everything up till now*

"Hmm..." Hau hums after listening intently. He thinks for a moment, processing all the information before responding.

"You're a moron!" Hau eventually says.

"What!?" Gou says in shock.

"Why did you put yourself through all that!? Suppression for what!? What purpose was all that in aid of!? It didn't help you! It didn't make you feel better! It made you feel worse! It made you depressed! It made you contemplate suicide! I mean what in God's name were you thinking!?" Hau lectures.

"I...I..." Gou stutters.

"Seriously! What were you thinking!?" Hau continues.

"I don't know!" Gou grunts. "I guess I got freaked out."

"How familer..." Hau scoffs.

"For the love of God! Would you let it go!?" Gladion groans.

"Gou. The real question is... How do you feel about Ash? How do you really feel?" Professor Burnet asks eventually contributing to the conversation.

"I... I don't know. I did know... But I seem to have forgotten. Everything that has happened. Everything that I've done, seems to have made me forget."

"I think you're going to have to face Ash... Well, once we find him." Professor Burnet advises.

"But...I don't know if I can face him. I still don't know what I feel. What if he hates me? What if we never recover from this?" Gou panics.

"You might know when you face him. Actually being alone with him in a calm environment might help you decide either way. Besides, Ash isn't the type of person to hate someone. It's not in his nature. I honestly think your friendship will recover no matter what happens. I truly do believe that." Professor Burnet says.

Gou still feels unconvinced.

"I'm actually surprised at Ash though. I wonder how long he's felt this way? He isn't one to keep his emotions close to his chest." Professor Burnet says. "You can usually rely on him to...hold on..."

Professor Burnet thinks for a moment before turning her head towards Lei's bedroom door.

"Pikachu?" She calls.

Pikachu rears his head round the doorway.

"Did you know?" Professor Burnet asks.

"Pika?" Pikachu replies looking a little confused.

"About how Ash feels about Gou?" Professor Burnet continues.

Pikachu turns his head away as a way of avoiding the question.

"AH! YOU DID!?" Professor Burnet shouts.

*Sound of Lei crying*

Professor Burnet sighs exhaustively realising the rookie mistake she made.

"Pikachu! I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Gou complains.

"And how was he meant to tell you, Gou? Write you a letter?" Gladion says sarcastically.

"You're not helping!" Hau says sternly.

*Sound of the front door opening*

The search party has returned.

"Did you find him?" Hau asks.

They all shake their heads.

"We had split up and searched as much of the forest as we could but we couldn't find him." Mallow explains.

"It's too dark now. We had to call off the search." Professor Kukui adds.

"We have to find him!" Gou says worryingly.

"Look! There's no point now. It's too dark. Besides, he clearly doesn't want to be found right now. He needs time to cool off. He'll come back on his own." Kiawe says.

"You say that... Yet you helped look for him!" Lana jibes.

"Everyone was worried. I wanted to help. Plus, I had time to think about it properly when we were not finding him." Kiawe explains.

"So, you weren't really trying?" Mallow asks.

"Of course I was trying!" Kiawe responds defensively.

"OK! Calm down everyone!" Professor Kukui interrupts. "Ash is not new at being outside at night. Remember, he's travelled to many places around the world. Plus, he's Alolan Champion. He is very capable of looking after himself. I'm of course worried about him but, I know he's fine. He knows this place and he knows how to keep himself safe. I think you should all go home and get some sleep. We'll continue searching for him tomorrow. Kiawe is probably right. He might come back on his own once he's had time to cool off."

Everyone eventually agrees and they leave to go to their own homes. They can try again tomorrow.

Professor Kukui sits beside Gou, who is still clearly upset.

"Look! It will be OK. Everything always has a way or working out. You'll see!"

Gou looks at his feet, not wanting to look Professor Kukui in the eye.

"I hope so..."