Chapter Six: A Denial Unbelievable

(A/N) Hey guys, I think that is me back to normal scheduling for publishing chapters, which for this story will be a Monday. I appreciate your patience and hope you enjoy. :) xxx

Our boys are back at May and Max's house writing up their report about the Beautifly for the Professor. The issue is though, Gou missed it because of...you know. Now he's staring at a blank screen because he doesn't know what the write.

"Gou, what's wrong?" Ash asks looking over Gou's shoulder. "You haven't written anything!"

"I-I know... I'm struggling. I-I can't seem to find the words." Gou shyly responds.

"Don't worry about it! I've written enough, we can submit my report for both of us!" Ash responds with a smile.

"R-Really? You'd do that?" Gou asks quite surprised.

"Of course!" Ash replies.

Gou looks at Ash in amazement. He didn't need to do that. That's quite a generous act.

"I-I'll make us some tea!" Gou jolts quickly standing up and walking out of the room. He takes a few deep breaths. This isn't good. These "feelings" are getting in the way of his research. He's going to fall behind if he doesn't get a handle on it. But what does he do?

"Everything alright, Gou?" Caroline asks as she walks up the stairs. "How's your report coming?"

"Yeah fine. I was just wondering if it would be OK for me to make tea for me and Ash?" Gou replies.

"Of course you can. Help yourself!" Caroline responds.

As Gou heads downstairs and into the kitchen, he can already see Max making a sandwich. Gou sighs. He still hasn't apologised for how he spoke to him at the train station. He really needs to do it now. He can't leave while this tension is hanging over him.

"Hey..." Gou says lightly to get Max's attention.

Max turns to face Gou. "Oh... Hi!" He says with a weak smile.

Gou takes a deep breath. "Look... I'm sorry about how I spoke to you when we first met. It was really nasty of me and you didn't deserve it. I'm very sorry."

"It's OK. We're good!" Max replies offering a hand of friendship.

Gou smiles lightly and shakes his hand.

"To be honest, I thought about it afterwards and thought I maybe touched a nerve." Max admits.

"It's not really that. I'm just going through some personal stuff. I still shouldn't have taken it out on you though." Gou responds.

"Is it about Ash?" Max abruptly says.

"W-what!?" Gou reacts nervously.

"You can tell me it's none of my business cause it's not but... Is there something between you and Ash?" Max enquires.

"W-what!? I-I... No! Of course not! Why... What makes you say that?" Gou quirks.

"It just seems that there's something there. The way you are with each other. How you are with Ash. I just get that vibe from you." Max explains.

"W-We... Well, you're wrong! There's nothing going on. I don't think of him that way. Not in the slightest. Not even a little bit!" Gou blurts out.

"OK! I get you! I'm sorry I brought it up. I'll drop it." Max finishes leaving the room. "Goodnight!"

"'N-night!" Gou replies giving off a sigh. That was a close one.

*******************************
The next day....

"I can't believe time went by so quickly!" Ash groans.

"Yeah I know! It's a shame we didn't get to do everything we planned!" May responded with Max nodding in agreement.

Gou looks around the train station aimlessly while Ash says his goodbyes.

"And it's a pity we didn't get to know each other better, Gou!" May continues.

"Oh... Y-yeah!" Gou responds.

"You're welcome back anytime. Both of you." Norman makes clear.

"Yes! You're always welcome!" Caroline concurs.

"Thank you so much!" Ash bows.

"Yes! Thank you!" Gou copies.

Once the goodbyes are finished, Ash and Gou head for their train to the airport to travel back to Kanto.

**************************
Gou looks out the plane window, watching the world go by below. He keeps thinking about what Max said. It's obvious Max could see right through him. Gou knows that Max didn't believe his denial. But... If Max was able to sense something, does that mean other people can? Can Ash sense something? It would be disastrous and utterly humiliating if Ash does know. If he does know though, then, why hasn't he said anything? Would he say something?

There's too many unknowns. Gou realises that he needs to be extra careful. He can't risk other people picking up on it. He can't risk Ash finding out.