𝒙𝒍𝒊𝒊 . . . they lost their minds

Start from the beginning

"I don't know. I think it'll settle in just before he's about to go, believe me I'm a wreck on the inside."

𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐓 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓, Charlotte was correct in her assumptions. She'd finished tying her leather gauntlets to her arms, and slotted her sword into her scabbard. Charlotte secured her quiver and bow over her shoulder close to her back, and met Peter in the room he was staying in with Edmund. "I don't want you to go out there." Peter was halfway through picking up his sword, and he let it dangle in mid air as he stared.

Charlotte marched over to him, and took Rhindon from him, keeping it firmly behind her back. "Give it back, Lottie. Hiding it like that won't make it disappear forever."

"I don't care. You can't go out there, Peter, you'll lose and you know it." Both did, but it had taken the event to come closer for either to finally admit it. Miraz was older, and Charlotte and Peter had been able to grow up twice. The Telmarine King was more skilled than either of them could ever be, putting more pressure on the high King to hold the usurper off for as long as possible, giving Susan and Lucy enough time to find Aslan and return back to the How.

"I have to do this Lottie, you know that. It doesn't matter if you don't agree to it, I did and it was accepted." Peter tried to reason with her, but Charlotte stood firm with her opinions. "Oh come on Lottie, try to see things from my perspective. Just because you don't want to stay here for longer than you have to, doesn't mean that I don't want to do what's right."

Peter had slowly been edging closer towards Charlotte, but she took one single step back at his words, shocked. "Why would you say that?"

"Because it's true. You don't want to stay here for longer than you have to, but that doesn't mean I feel the same."

"But you said you understood. You understood why I didn't want to stay, but you just went ahead and used it against me. I was only coming here to tell you I thought this duel was a bad idea, then wish you luck because I knew you would want to do it anyway. I don't think I'll do either now." She dropped Rhindon from her grip, and let it clatter to the floor.

"Lottie please? Are you bloody insane?"

"I didn't think I was, I thought you were."

𝐍𝐄𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐃𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐀𝐍 suspected anything was wrong between Charlotte and Peter, until the two didn't say anything when Peter stepped up to the ruined monument, helmet gripped under his arm. Miraz and Glozelle presented themselves at the front of the sea of Telmarines clad in the same black armour, surveying the Narnians that were sporting a significant decrease in numbers.

"If it should appear to be going poorly . . ." He gestured to the crossbow clasped behind Glozelle's back.

"Understood, my Lord." Miraz pulled his golden mask down over his face, sword drawn at Peter. The two Kings, one rightful and the other forceful, began to circle one another. "There is still time to surrender."

"Well feel free."

"How many more must die for the throne?"

"Just one." Peter countered, before surging at the Telmarine King.

Charlotte stood in between Edmund and Caspian, trying desperately to swallow the bile rising up in her throat. She was kicking herself mentally for not telling him she loved him, or at least just wished him luck. She'd managed to do both for Susan and Lucy, all while believing the prospect of them being able to find Aslan wildly slim.