𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊 . . . swords and pitchforks

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 raid of the Telmarine castle that evening couldn't have been made easier even if they had tried to make it so

The make-shift war council hastily put together a strong battle plan in the limited time they had remaining as the daylight hours dwindled, while Susan continued to train the archers, and Lucy taught the fauns and dwarfs that were staying behind how to treat minor wounds and injuries.

The tension between Charlotte and Peter after their argument made it difficult for much progress to be made, but they managed to pull together a good enough idea eventually.

Charlotte and Edmund would be taken in by griffons first to one of the towers of the castle, and signal to Peter, Caspian, and Susan when the coast was clear, for them to be dropped onto the battlements afterwards.

The three would then, somehow, get into the study of Caspian's professor to rescue him, all while Charlotte and Edmund continued to make sure that no Telmarines were able to spot them. Reepicheep would take his army of twelve mice in under the gate to deal with any straggling soldiers.

The rest of the army, lead by Glenstorm, followed by Trumpkin, would be led in after the second signal from Edmund, courtesy of his electrical torch, after Peter and the others had gotten to the gatehouse.

If all went well, they could be in and out within a few short hours.

But that was only if they stuck directly to the detailed plan.

Soon enough, Charlotte and Susan were in their shared make-shift room, fixing armour to themselves. Susan opted for a dress, while Charlotte went for trousers, finding them easier to move in. But, both girls would be protected well enough for the raid. "Do you really think this is a good idea?" The younger girl asked.

"Is any raid a good idea, Su?" She shrugged. "No. I can't believe he's making us do this, to be honest. It's like he's got a bloody death wish or something." Charlotte twisted the ring off her finger, and the action didn't go unnoticed by Susan.

"What are you doing with that?"

"Keeping it here. I don't want to lose it." She slipped it into the pocket of her discarded blue dress, and picked up her weapons. "Well, are you ready?" Susan nodded hesitantly, and then both girls made for the wooden door. Edmund was pacing the length of the corridor when they shut the door behind them, as if it would contain their dread and nerves for long enough for the plan to be pulled off.

"Have you got the torch, Edmund?" Questioned Charlotte, as the light flickering around the torches at the end of the tunnel grew eventually brighter. Edmund's hands, that had been hidden behind his back the whole time, were then revealed, and he waved the torch around, even throwing it up and catching it again in his hands a few times. "Take that as a yes, Charlotte."

As Charlotte, Susan, and Edmund passed the threshold transitioning from hallway to chamber, the din they'd been expecting to reach their ears never came. But the sight, on the other hand, most definitely stepped up to the mark.