𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊 . . . to love or not to love

𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐃 been fought over the past two years, and each time Peter left, Charlotte grew more and more worried that he may never return

𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐃 been fought over the past two years, and each time Peter left, Charlotte grew more and more worried that he may never return. Each time he did, and he would always promise her the next time he went away that he would come back to her, and each time he kept the promise.

Charlotte couldn't hold that against him, and didn't want him to stop making promises, but it pained her more each time he was gone. She couldn't bear the thought of him not being able to keep his promises to her, and it hurt more when he and Edmund were delayed upon their return home.

Hence, why Charlotte was currently busy persuading Peter to let her join him for the upcoming battle against the Telmarines.

"No. No, no, no."

"Please?"

"No."

"Why? Why can't I go, Peter. I'm twenty one, the same age as you, actually, older than you by five months,"

"Four and a half actually."

"Shut up and listen." Charlotte shushed him, "If Edmund can go, and he's seventeen, then why can't I come too?"

"Because it's too dangerous, Lottie."

"Do you doubt my battle skills? Because if you do, you know full well who would win in a duel between me and you." And it pained Peter to say he did. Charlotte may not train as often as he or his brother did, but the woman was a force to be reckoned with when holding a weapon, whether it be her sword or bow. Either one dealt just as much pain and damage as the other.

Peter sighed loudly, his shoulders dropping as he took her hands in his, and brought her hands up to his lips to press tender kisses on each of her knuckles individually. It was something he did quite often when the two of them were alone, always resulting in him gaining a light laugh and beautiful smile.

"I'll think about it. But, if you're unable to fight—"

"Which won't happen, because I'm going."

"—But, if you're unable to fight, I'll come back to you. I promise."

"I know. But, sometimes the promises just aren't enough. It doesn't stop me from worrying about you every time you leave. I love the promises and I love that you give them to me, but I just need to know you're ok. Just because you promised, doesn't mean I don't worry."

"Lottie, I know how much you want to be out there, but I worry too. And it wouldn't be easy to lose you, however things decided to go."

Charlotte never managed to go into battle, she'd come down with a badly timed bout of hayfever, resulting in her sniffling and blowing her nose every two seconds, and loud sneezes that didn't seem to stop. However, it was Charlotte herself who decided she wasn't going; and sudden noise would have alerted the Telmarines of their location as quick as a heart beat.