21. Forced departure.

Kailasa, 7 pm

Kailasa, 7 pm.

Kitchen staff were nursing the burnt fingers of Kanmani with pastes made from wheat and all time flour - a home remedy to avoid blisters or so they thought. Pain still visible on her face made her subordinates to force her to the colony clinic to get the necessary medical attention.

Back in the kitchen, six of the kitchen staff were conversing between each other.

"We're also humans, why don't they understand?!!" said a frustrated staff.

"Yes, only because the salary is good, we're putting up with all the humiliation that happens on daily basis. I don't know why our landlady reacted so inhumanly today" said another.

"This is not the first time. Last week in kitty party that guest spilled the contents of a bowl while receiving but our landlady poured hot soup on my head scolding and insulting head cook about it viciously" another woman added.

"Yeah even before that, she had made Kanmani pick up broken glass pieces in bare hands, after intentionally dropping them"

"Don't forget the days she made us eat stale left overs claiming we need to learn measurements properly"

"In spite of all these our head cook doesn't want anything reported to our lady boss" said the first woman who spoke.

"Yes, Kanmani is soft hearted. Our landlady hates our head cook only because she's tender towards Samyukta ma'am. Our lady boss respects her more than her own mother but this kind of torture is pathetic" sighed the fourth woman.

"Actually I agree with our head. If we complain about these, the relationship between the daughter and mother will suffer a lot more" opinionated a staff.

"Woah, now I see that they're divinely inseparable..... I'm definitely reporting today's incident. Which normal brained person will behave like that? If fries weren't crispy, we would fry them again and serve it but her act is insane...."

"Don't raise your voice, landlady might storm the kitchen anytime" warned the third woman.

"Oh shut up! I'm not scared of her anymore. After seeing our cruel landlady fry Kanmani's fingers in hot boiling oil, I don't have a heart to work here anymore" declared the woman who was extremely hurt by the rude behavior of Geetanjali.

"What are you saying? Leaving the job that too from such a royal place? Remember we all have families to feed, we're not with you in this..." declared the first woman and others sided with her.

Growling under her breath, "Fine, I'll stay but I'll definitely report this to our young landlady" declared that odd one out.

"No one is doing that stupidity!!" said the elderly voice. Kanmani's right hand fingers were wrapped in layers of white bandage illustrating a deep damage caused. "Everyone get back to work, Samyukta ma'am is staying for dinner tonight after a very long time. Whole family will be here in less than an hour" she demanded.