Addicted To Him [Wilbur/Schlatt]

A HNF based short story
                                                    9/15/2021

~~~~~~

Wilbur lay on his bed, wiping his tears, muted on a discord call with his best friend. Schlatt had been telling him the entire call how he needed to leave his boyfriend, Roman, for his own safety. 

Wilbur knew Schlatt was right, he really did. But he had been with Roman for over 3 years now. And he was addicted to this boy like he were heroine. Wilbur felt like he couldn’t go a day without contacting him in some shape or form. 

Wilbur always thought that was just love. The butterflies, the talking, the needing. He thought it was all perfectly normal, hell, kids hear stories like that about falling in love with some prince or princess. But Wilbur was wrong.

Wilbur wasn’t feeling butterflies. They weren’t talking. The needing him. That’s not love. It was dread Wilbur felt, they would talk because Roman would be scolding or yelling and Wil, Wilbur NEEDING him to practically survive. That isn’t love.

That’s toxic. That’s power that Roman had over Wilbur. It’s abusive.

And Roman was abusive to Wilbur in more ways than one.

Roman, when in person, would hit and beat Wilbur if he did something ‘wrong.’ In person and over the phone he would manipulate and deteriorate Wilbur’s mind. He would threaten suicide or more abuse if Wilbur even thought about leaving. Emotional, Physical, and physiological abuse.

Roman was fucking horrible. And Wilbur couldn’t see it. 

Schlatt was the only one Wilbur had told about Roman’s actions. Wilbur said it so light-heartedly like the abuse was nothing. That concerned Schlatt more than he could ever express. That Wilbur said it so casually. When Schlatt said it wasn’t okay, Wilbur denied it. That’s when Schlatt asked why he hid it if he thought it was okay.

“I… I think it’s okay. But I know that other people would hate it… hate him. I didn’t want you guys to hate him for something that’s my fault..”

“Why would that be your fault, Wil..?”

That’s how they got where they are now. Wilbur muted for a moment and sniffed. For some odd reason that question really struck him. It’s something he had always told himself and left it at that. He knew that Schlatt was trying to say it wasn’t. And nobody told him that before. 

Though he hadn’t told anyone before.

“Wil..?”

Wilbur unmuted and cleared his throat.

“Yeah..?”

“Nothing that you could ever do will be a good enough reason to hurt you. Am I allowed to head over? Is your window unlocked?”

“Yeah.. You sure you wanna…” He paused to stop his voice from breaking. “Wanna climb a tree just to get here..?”

“Yeah. Just leave your window cracked, I’ll climb up.”

“Okay..”

Wilbur god honestly felt horrible about this. His best friend sneaks out of his house at 12 am just to go over and sneak into his own house. All over this boy that he was addicted to like he was the best drug he could ever have. 

Cause that’s how Roman was to him.

This drug that he can never get again. This toxic substance that he could never get enough of. This horrid thing that he couldn’t drop even if he wanted to. 

And he honestly didn’t know if he wanted to or not.

It hurt. Being with Roman, that is. The abuse and manipulation, he knew it was going on. He knew but he didn’t care that it was happening to him, cause at the same time Roman was sweet to him and kind. 

Besides, all drugs hurt your body in some way. Roman is just another one of those.

Wilbur already did a couple drugs. Weed, and Ambien. Yes, Ambien was a sleeping drug, but once you build a tolerance it can give you that same feeling of being high with weed (regardless of method for ingestion.)

He took a deep breath as he cracked his window open for Schlatt. Schlatt would show up in another 5 minutes, so he had a small bit before he came. Wilbur braced himself as he took another deep breath.

Schlatt wants Wilbur to leave Roman. 

And Wilbur is going to lie to his best friend and say he will. 

Because this is one drug he couldn’t stop taking.

~~~~~

721 words.

These are SHORT stories lmao. Basically stuff I can get down in advisement/study hall periods. They won’t be too long. Shorter than my book chapters anyway, unless I get really motivated over one of my prompts I have written for myself. I have 15 recorded prompts, so this is 1/15. Anyway, have a good day or night or something :]

-Phoenix