1. merlot

"Aren't you overreacting?" Erwin, one of my two best friends, frowned following my gaze to the bustling port you could just barely see from my bedroom window.

...

THE LACK OF TRUST YOU HAVE IN ME IS APPALLING

I'LL LET IT SLIDE SINCE WE'RE FRIENDS BUT ONLY THIS ONCE

"I'm not overreacting Erwin- I've been waiting to see her for months and she's supposed to be back today," I sighed for the millionth time today, watching as ships came and went.

"I'm sorry that your girlfriend isn't here but could you please stop sighing? It's pissing me off," Levi, who I thought was one of my best friends until that comment, muttered harshly under his breath.

ex-besties to lovers au </3

ew gross

agreed he's a man and short-

i have standards <33

as you should

"I'm not the one who told you to wait here with me," I rolled my eyes at him, flipping him off for extra measure.

"I'll leave then," he rolled his eyes back, standing up from his seat.

"NO, WAIT! STAY! I NEED THE BOTH OF YOU IF I'M GOING TO MAKE AN ENTRANCE!"

"Oh but Y/N- I thought you wanted me gone?" He gasped dramatically.

....

"Levi dearest <3" I put on my fakest smile, "I was merely jesting- you know I would never <3"

"Buy me ink later?"

"Ink?? Really? Aren't you loaded? Buy your own-"

"Goodbye Y/N."

"OK FINE! I'LL DO IT! STAY HERE!"

"Deal," he sat back down, burying his face once more in some ledger.

god he's so boring

The three of us Erwin Smith, Levi Ackerman, and (the best one) Y/N Zacharius, had been friends for as long as I could remember.

although that's only natural-

Our parents each owned successful merchant fleets- all running out of Trost, the port town that I found myself anxiously watching over today.

which basically means that levi's family is way too wealthy for him to be weaseling ink out of me

The Smith family was known for importing fine fabrics and other textiles, Erwin was set to succeed the business and had set his sights on developing a method of bringing high-quality fabric to commoners.

pretty much everything in my wardrobe can be credited back to the smith family

The Ackerman family had a monopoly on the wine trade, although Levi had ambitions to expand it to foreign teas when he took over the family business.

basically, levi is a nerd that is not to be trusted <3 that's the point of all of this exposition

And finally- the Zacharius family- to be completely honest my family had dabbled in a little bit of everything over many different generations, but after my father took over as head focus had shifted over to fine art.

clearly that was successful because i'm friends with these goons

My father never married and thus adopted both me and my brother Mike. Our adoption has never really been a problem, aside from the occasional rude comment.

you've honestly got to be some kind of idiot to go around insulting one of the wealthiest families in the area

WHO IS SOMEONE ELSE TO JUDGE IF SOME OLD LONELY WEALTHY GUY WANTS TO ADOPT

IF HE WANTS TO SPEND THEIR MONEY TO FEED AND CLOTHE ME THEN I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS

Mike was poised to inherit the business- and as a result of that had been missing from our little 'spoiled rotten children' club, while he studied at some boarding school.

i have zero complaints with him taking over <3

I've never been too ambitious, and I definitely don't want to spend the rest of my life stressing over supply and demand or whatever the hell my father does.

that being said-

"I THINK I SEE IT!" I shot up, pressing my face against the window, the glass fogging up from my breath, "oh no- wait- wrong ship."

"Face it she isn't coming today," Levi sent me a look of pity.

OH SHUT UP

There's nothing I love more than proving someone wrong- which brings me to why I've been anxiously watching ships come in and out of the harbor for an entire afternoon.

"Remind me why we're doing this again?" Levi pinched the bridge of his nose.

YOU KNOW WHY ://

"Y/N is waiting for the pirate girl to come back so she can force-" I cut Erwin off by kicking him, "-coerce her into helping her fool her father."

thank you for the helpful summary erwin <3

"I thought she was coming back today," I pouted, "everyone I talked to said that they saw her ship heading towards Trost."

"Maybe she skipped it for Shiganshina?" Erwin suggested.

SHE WOULD NEVER

"If she does that I might cry."

"I don't see what the big deal is Y/N- I mean shouldn't you just be thrilled for your arranged marriage to Reiner Braun," Levi returned to mocking my situation.

"The only thing that I like about Reiner is Gabi and I can be friends with her without marrying a man. Thank you very much," I groaned. "Stop joking about it, it's not even funny."

"I'm sorry," Levi seemed genuinely apologetic, "I don't think that the shitty pirate girl would skip over Trost."

"I hope not."

it's my last chance

It had happened nearly half a year ago now- my father had announced over dinner that I was in an arranged marriage to the heir of the Braun family, Reiner Braun.

nothing against reiner in particular but we have negative 10 chemistry

and im lesbian so like .

i don't even think he's interested in me

After begging my father for a month and even bribing Reiner's younger sister Gabi to pretend to hate me in an attempt to get the whole thing canceled, I managed to wear down my father to the point where he offered me a deal.

If I can't prove that I can be 'self-sufficient' in a year the marriage will be called off.

WHICH SOUNDS EASY AT FIRST

Unfortunately for me, the definition of 'self-sufficient' can vary greatly.

Which brings me to my current plan- doing something so drastic that there's no possible way that my father can force me into this.

Naturally, you'll need a pirate if you want to piss off a merchant. 

________________

PUBLISHING A BUNCH OF EXPOSITION FIRST TO GET IT OUT OF THE WAY <3

- arghmi