Chapter 40: Battle at the Crescent Club

Depuis le début

He's already survived a ton of bullets, I grumbled.

On that thought I looked over at the detectives, still lying on the floor. I saw the pair struggling to move, still hurt from Zachary's attack. I was relieved to know that they were still alive, at least for now. My fingers slid over my phone screen as I stood perfectly still, my attention divided between my phone and the fight. I had just finished my short message, my finger edging towards the send button when Zachary got the upper hand, knocking Azar's staff out of his fingers. Azar moved to throw one final fire blast but the wraith grabbed his hand, crushing it in his own massive fist. I could smell the burning flesh even from my spot near the bar and I gasped, covering my mouth in shock. Azar was stuck, struggling as he tried to get out of the wraith's hold. He reached out with his other hand, gripping desperately at Zachary's fist to try and free himself. I could hear Azar shouting in Terrarish as the last of his flames surged and then went out.

Zachary's toothy grin widened and in one swoop he raised his other arm up and brought it crashing down onto Azar's body.

"AZAR!" I screamed, watching as the Fire Elemental crumpled to the ground. Zachary stood over him, slamming his fists into him again, and again.

A fury overtook me and I rushed forward. I couldn't stand the thought of my friend being beaten and possibly killed right in front of me. All the pain, fear, and worry inside of me vanished. All I wanted to do was save Azar and these innocent people here from this monster my blood had created. Zachary had stopped punching, his face confused as he watched me run forward. I threw back my arm, clenching my fist tightly as I punched him square in the jaw. I fully expected my hand to crack or break from the force of the impact. Instead, I watched as the hit landed, throwing the monster's face to the side. I was glowing, awash with a strong silver light. I looked down at my hands, mesmerized by the luminous color.

 I looked down at my hands, mesmerized by the luminous color

"I-impossible..." Zachary spat out.

I looked up to see the blackness around his face had cracked, his human skin tone visible underneath. I glared at him, pulling my arm back into another punch, this time, aimed at his gut.

"You've had this coming, asshole."

Why he didn't throw up his arms to protect himself, I'll never know, but my punch landed square into his stomach. I never thought I was that strong, but my hit caused Zachary the human to fly backward, crashing into a set of tables behind him. The shell of the wraith still stood before me groaning in agony as my silvery light encompassed him. The place where I punched began to crack, and fall apart, inside his body was only bright white light.

"My queen..." he whispered, his silver eyes pleading with me.

"Goodbye," I whispered, suddenly overcome with a sense of loss as I watched this creature crumble before me. Unlike Mr. Burke, who had turned to black ash, the Zachary wraith became white and glimmering, like stars floating in the sky. As the white sparkles began to fall, the glow in the room faded and exhaustion overtook me.