Chapter 55

Branch ran as fast as he could towards the dam, Poppy and Barb following right behind him. He had to get to Aqua... he had to make sure she were safe!

     Finally, he reached the dam, seeing Aqua swimming around happily in the river.

     He stopped running, smiling wide when he saw Aqua was alright.

     "Aqua!" he yelled out excitedly.

     It looked over at the sound of his voice, and smiled once she saw Branch was also ok.

     Quickly, Aqua changed back into a dog, running over and tackling Branch to the ground.

"Ok... ok," Branch laughed, as Aqua licked his face lovingly. "I'm happy to see you too. Now get off. Your getting me all wet."

He gently pushed, Aqua off of him, petting it's head, as he smiled, thankful she was still alive and well.

Slowly, his gaze turned to the river, seeing it was less than half full, his smile fading almost instantly.

"It'll happen again..." he said softly, looking over at the dam which was still blocking off the water flow into the Enchanted Forest. "The water will evaporate, and Aqua will be in danger..."

His ears drooped at the thought, as he lowered his head in sadness.

"I can't let that happen..." he muttered softly to himself, as he shut his eyes gently.

Poppy walked over, sitting down next to him, as she put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"We'll think of something Branch," she said softly, trying to help him feel better, but he didn't respond. He just kept his head lowered, as he held his eyes shut in sadness.

     Aqua whimpered, not liking the fact that Branch was sad. He was it's friend... it didn't want him to be sad...

     Slowly, it crawled into his lap, snuggling up to him, trying to make him feel better, but Branch just pushed Aqua off, as he stood, looking up at the dam once again.

     "I need to get rid of that dam," he said softly, a determined look coming across his face.

     "You can't..." Tula said softly, looking at Branch sadly. "If we destroy the dam... the rush of water will take out troll village."

     Branch sighed, lowering his head again as his ears drooped slightly.

     "Then... it really is hopeless..." he muttered softly, before looking down at Aqua who gazed up at him lovingly. "I'm sorry, Aqua... I really wanted to help you..." he said, looking away again, as tears came to his bright blue eyes. "But I can't..."

     Poppy walked over, hugging Branch comfortingly, knowing how sad he felt that he couldn't help his friend. Aqua would die... and he felt as if it was all his fault...

     "Would you like to unconnected your spirits?" Tula asked softly, walking over to the blue troll slowly. "So... you won't have to die with her?"

     Branch shook his head at Tula's question, looking back down at Aqua sadly.

     "I'm not giving up..." he said softly. "I'll save her... I'll figure out a way..."
"But, Branch..." Poppy objected softly, gently rubbing his back comfortingly. "With the dam, you can't..." She paused, her eyes widening as she gasped in realization. "We have to destroy the dam!" she suddenly shouted out quickly.

     "What!?" Branch, Barb, and Tula all shouted out loudly, turning to the queen of pop in shock.

     "That's why the elements chased us away from Trollstopia," she explained. "Not to attack us... but to protect us. That dam needs to come down!"

     "But, Poppy... our homes..." Barb said softly.

     Poppy shook her head, turning to look at Barb.

     "It's the only way," she said firmly.

     Slowly, she turned back to Branch, who looked at her, his eyes wide in disbelief.

     "Do it, Branch," she told him confidently. "Save Aqua..."

     He smiled slightly at her words, and then hugged her tight, as he nodded slowly.

     "Thank you, Poppy..." he whispered to her. "Thank you..."
"I love you, Branch..." she whispered, hugging him back. "And I would do anything to protect you." She pulled away from the hug, looking deep into her boyfriend's beautiful eyes. "We can replace the village..." she continued softly. "But I could never replace you..."

     He smiled, leaning over to kiss Poppy, both of their hearts overflowing with love for each other.

     Finally, Branch pulled away from the kiss, turning back to Aqua.

     "Aqua..." he said softly. "I need you to ram into that dam."

     It looked at him, confused by the request, not understanding what he wanted it to do.

     Quickly, Branch ran over to the dam, using his hair to climb up on top of it.

     "Come on Aqua!" he yelled from on top of the dam. "Hit it! Knock it down!"

     Aqua understood, and jumped into the river, forming into a giant wave.

     It struck the dam, causing it to shake a bit.

     Branch stumbled slightly, but managed to keep his balance, looking down at Aqua.

     "That's it, Aqua! Do it again!" Branch shouted victoriously. "Hit the dam!"

     Aqua formed into another wave, slamming as hard as it could into the dam.

     The dam cracked a bit, water beginning to spray through it.

     "Yes!" Branch laughed, excited his plan was working. "That's it! Good job Aqua!"

     He turned, beginning to run off the dam before it could completely break, but Aqua was already forming into another wave, ramming into it again.

     The crack grew bigger, forming a large gap in front of Branch that he couldn't pass.

     "Uh..." he muttered softly, stopping quick as he looked at the gap in front of him. "Ok, Aqua..." he said nervously. "You can stop now."

     He turned, running the other direction, but Aqua hadn't heard his request, hitting the wall again.

     Another gap formed in front of Branch, trapping him on top of the dam, as he looked around in a panic, trying desperately to find a way to escape.

     Poppy noticed he was trapped on the crumbling stone wall, beginning to get worried.

     "Branch! Get out of there!" she yelled out in a panic. "Get out of their now!"

     He froze in fear, looking down at the dam, crumbling out from underneath him.

     "Frosting..." he muttered softly to himself, as Aqua hit the wall one final time.

     The dam collapsed completely, a gigantic wave bursting through, sweeping up Branch and Aqua with it.

     "BRANCH!"