Chapter 22

The two children ran through the Enchanted Forest village, heading off towards the scream that had just rung out through the forest.

     All of a sudden, fighting broke out amongst them, the Enchanted Forest trolls attacking the Troll Village trolls.

     Branch looked around terrified, as he ran after Poppy. Everyone was trying to kill each other!

     "No..." he muttered to himself, his eyes wide in fear. This was it... this was the bad thing... the thing he felt was going to happen since the moment he arrived here. The Enchanted Forest trolls... they had betrayed them... this entire time... inviting the Troll Village trolls here... it was a trap...

     Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, Branch noticed a bolder flying through the air, heading right towards Poppy!

     "Poppy!" he yelled, in terror, jumping forewords to push her out of the way.

     "AHHH!" Poppy screamed in surprise, as Branch shoved her to the ground, causing her to roll out of the path of the falling Boulder.

     The rock slammed into the ground, pushing up dust to cover the area, making it impossible to see anything.

     Poppy coughed, as she slowly sat up, looking around in the dust.

     "Branch?" she said softly, looking around, unable to see him anywhere. "Branch!? Where are you!?"
"Over... (cough) here..." she heard in a quiet voice. The voice coming through the dust was weak, struggling to speak, but Poppy could still tell who it belonged to...

     She looked over towards the voice, her eyes wide. "Branch..." she gasped, seeing a small silhouette laying on the ground, through the dust.

     Slowly, the dust began to clear, Poppy's heart racing in terror, as she saw Branch laying on the ground, his eyes shut, the gigantic boulder smashed into the ground right beside him, crushing his arm.

     "Branch!" she yelled out in terror, quickly running over, and dropping down to her knees beside him.

     "Poppy..." Branch said weakly, his voice filled with pain. He slowly blinked his eyes open, looking up at her with tears in his eyes. "Go. Run. Save yourself."
"No, Branch!" Poppy cried. "I'm not leaving you!"

     Quickly, she jumped up to her feet, pushing her entire body against the boulder, trying to move it off of Branch's arm, but it was way too heavy, and wouldn't move even an inch.

     Branch winced in pain, closing his eyes tightly, panting heavily, as he struggled to hold back his tears.

     "Please, Poppy..." he begged, not even looking at her. "Just go."

     It wasn't safe there... she had to leave... she had to leave him...

     She looked at him, tears in her eyes, as she shook her head.

     "No, Branch," she cried. "I can't... I... I won't..." She bent down next to her friend, taking his free hand gently in hers. "I won't leave you, Branch..."

     He looked at her, tears flooding his bright blue eyes.

     "Poppy... I..." he started.
"Ruuuuuuuuugh!" they both suddenly heard, interrupting Branch's words.

     Branch's ear twitched at the sound, turning towards it.

     His eyes widened in horror, as he saw one of the Enchanted Forest trolls running at them, holding a spear high up in the air. He was going to attack Poppy! He was gonna kill her!