Chapter 46

The three trolls walked through the forest, finally ending up at a small village full of tents.

Young trolls ran around, laughing and playing, while the adults stared at Poppy and Barb in fear. Why were these Troll Village trolls walking through their village? They didn't belong there...

"What are those traitors doing here?" one of them asked in a whisper.
"Haven't they done enough?" asked another.

One of them stepped in front of their child to protect him, as he cowered behind his mother, frightened of Poppy and Barb.

Poppy looked around, memories coming back from when she was only five years old. She'd been here before...

"This... this is the Enchanted Forest," she said softly, as she looked around in amazement, memories flooding back into her head.

     She remembered this place. It was beautiful back then and it was still beautiful now. She remembered being here with Branch. How they connected, and became best friends. Well... he became her best friend at least...

But she stopped suddenly, holding Branch close, as the thought of why they left and never came back, popped into her head...

Flashback
—————

In the morning, the Troll Village trolls all woke up bright and early, getting ready to head back home, having overstayed their welcome in the Enchanted Forest.

"Ok, everyone," Peppy announced, as he stood in front of the large group of trolls, who all stood, listening closely to their king. "We have a long journey ahead of us, so..."
"King Peppy," Chief Tula suddenly interrupted, walking up behind the old orange troll.

Peppy turned at the sound of the voice, looking at her suspiciously. He didn't trust her after what had happened the day before. She had kidnapped Branch, and threatened his people. That was completely un-acceptable...

"I would like to formally apologize for my behavior yesterday," Tula said politely.

Peppy smiled at her statement, forgiving her instantly.

"And I would like to apologize for my people building that dam without your permission," Peppy said in return. "It really was supposed to be a gift to stop flooding in your village."

She smiled at his apology, but her smile quickly faded, as she looked at him firmly.

"About the dam..." she started. "I'd like to explain to you why I got so upset about it."
"Of course," Peppy nodded. "I'm listening."
"Well... it's just that..." She paused, as she caught a glimpse of Branch through the corner of her eye.

     He was standing over with the rest of the snack pack, fiddling nervously with his fingers, as he looked at Poppy, trying to work up the courage to tell her how he felt.

"Hmm..." Tula mumbled, glaring over at the grey troll suspiciously.

Branch laughed at a joke Poppy had just told, smiling with pure joy. He had never been happier than these past few days when he was with Poppy. But his smile quickly faded, when he noticed Chief Tula staring at him intently.

He gulped, backing away a bit, as his ears drooped down in fear. What is it that she wanted from him...

Chief Tula looked at the young boy one last time, and then turned her attention back to King Peppy, smiling once again.