Chapter 24

16 Years And Two Movies Later
—————

     Branch walked through Trollstopia, holding Poppy's hand, as they enjoyed the beautiful weather together.

     "So... I was thinking... maybe we could go out for dinner tonight? You know... like... like a... date. If... if you wanted..." Branch said nervously, smiling awkwardly, as he looked at Poppy.

" Branch said nervously, smiling awkwardly, as he looked at Poppy

     Poppy smiled, chuckling softly as she kissed his cheek.

     "That sounds perfect," she said.

Branch smiled for real, relieved that she had said 'yes'.

He and Poppy looked into each other's eyes lovingly, leaning in to kiss one another.

"Sup, dudes!" Barb yelled, suddenly jumping in between them.

Branch flinched, jumping back slightly in surprise, but sighed, rolling his eyes when he realized who it was that interrupt his alone time with his new girlfriend.

"Ugh... Barb..." he groaned, turning his back to her, as he crossed his arms angrily.

Barb looked between him and Poppy, realizing what had been going on.

"Barf! Were you two about to kiss!?" she yelled in disgust. "Well, isn't that just puke..." She fake gagged, pretending to vomit.

"What do you want, Barb?" Branch asked dryly, as he rolled his eyes in annoyance. "What I want is for you to rot in a hole," Barb said with a slight attitude, as she flicked Branch's nose. "But unfortunately, that's not gonna happen." She smirked at him, getting all up in his face.

Branch sighed, rolling his eyes again, trying not to feed into her reckless antics. If he didn't react... maybe she would just leave.

"Popsqueek. I'm actually here for you," Barb finally said, turning to face Poppy. "I wanted to make sure you remembered my concert tonight."
"Concert?" Poppy asked in confusion. She hadn't heard anything about a concert.

"Yeah, Popcorn," Barb said, wrapping her arm around Poppy's shoulders. "You promised to be my roadie."
"I did?" Poppy said, raising an eyebrow. When did she agree to that?

"Of course!" Barb said.
"But, Barb... I never..." Poppy started, but Barb quickly cut her off.

     "Seriously, Popsicle!?" the queen of rock yelled, pulling away from Poppy, as she crossed her arms, giving the queen of pop the death glare. "You think I would just make something like that up, because my roadie backed out on me at the last minute!? Cuz that would be a rude assumption to make, Popsqueek! What kind of troll do you think I am!?"

Poppy blinked, looking at Barb in confusion.

"Um... n... no, Barb. I wasn't thinking that at all," Poppy said calmly. "I would love to help you... but I actually can't make it tonight. I have plans with..."
"With who?" Barb interrupted. "Boy toy, here?" She gestured to Branch, making a disgusted face. "Please," she scoffed. "You're way out of this pathetic looser's league."

     "Grrr..." Branch growled softly, glaring at Barb, doing his best to not scream at her.

"Branch is the nicest, sweetest, cutest troll I've ever met," Poppy said, walking over to Branch. "There's nothing he wouldn't do for me, and I wouldn't do for him."

She took Branch's hands in hers, both of them smiling at each other lovingly.

"I'm gonna barf," Barb suddenly gagged. "You two are so puke."

"Well... I love him, so you'll just have to deal with it," Poppy said with a slight hint of sass.

     Branch smiled at Poppy's words, leaning forward to kiss her forehead gently.

     "And I love you, Poppy..." he told her with a sweet smile.

"Ugh! Get a room!" Barb groaned, stepping in between the adorable couple, and shoving Branch away.

     "You know what..." Branch said angrily, as he stomped back over to the queen of rock. "I've had enough of you! You can't just come over here, and..."
"Hey, hey, Branch," Barb interrupted Branch's rant. "Come here... I have a secret to tell you."
"What? Why would I want..."

     Before he could finish his question, Barb leaned over to his ear as if to whisper something into it.

     "Ew! Gross!" Branch yelled, pulling away from Barb quickly, as he rubbed his ear in disgust. "She licked my ear!"
"Yeah... well I wouldn't of needed to if you weren't such a pain in the..."
"Barb!" Poppy yelled, both trolls turning to her with wide eyes, shocked by her sudden outburst.

     "Sorry, Poppy/Popsqueek..." Branch and Barb both said simultaneously.

     Poppy rolled her eyes, walking back over to Branch, as she grabbed his hand.

     "Branch and I are having dinner tonight, so I can't go to your concert. I'm sorry Barb," Poppy said, as Branch stealthily stuck his tongue out at the queen of rock. Poppy turned to him, and he quickly pulled his tongue back into his mouth, as he smiled innocently, pretending like he had been doing nothing wrong.

     "Come on, Popsqueek! I need you!" Barb begged, dropping down to her knees, as she folded her hands together up in the air. "I'm literally begging right now, Poppy. You know me. I don't do that!"

     Poppy looked at her friend sadly, and then sighed.

     "I'm sorry, Barb..." she apologized. "But I can't."
"They'll be glitter cannons!" Barb yelled out, scooting a little closer to Poppy, still on her knees. "Glitter..." Poppy gasped, intrigued.

     Quickly, she shook her head, snapping out of her trance.

     "No, Barb. I'm going out with Branch and that's final!"
"Pwease..." Barb begged cutely with a pouty lip and big eyes.
"Oh... not the face..." Poppy whined, as she shielded her eyes, feeling her heart melt inside her chest.

Branch looked at Poppy, knowing how much she loved helping her friends out. It was killing her to say no to Barb, yet she was still doing it... for him...

     He smiled, placing his hand gently on her shoulder, so she would turn and look at him.

"It's ok, Poppy," he told her softly. "If you want to... you can go help Barb."
"Are you sure?" Poppy asked, not wanting to blow Branch off on their first real date.
"I mean..."
"Of course he's sure," Barb interrupted in a shout, as she jumped up to her feet. "Now let's go!"

She grabbed Poppy's wrist, dragging her off towards Rock Hollow before anything else could be said.

"I... guess I'll see you tomorrow then," Branch said softly, watching the two queens run off, with a sad expression on his face.

     Finally, he sighed, turning to walk back home to his bunker.