Chapter 5

Hera Marie

"Yes, Amarie and Amara are your children," she said.

Pakiramdam ko ay tila nabunutan ako ng malaking tinik sa lalamunan. Hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko kung kabaliktaran no'n ang sinagot niya. Kahit dalawang araw ko lang nakasama si Amarie at ngayon ko lang nakasama si Amara, napamahal na rin ako sa kanila. Gano'n siguro ang tinatawag nilang lukso ng dugo.

"Denver isn't the one who got me pregnant. It's you, Hera, you're the one who got me pregnant. Birthday mo noong nangyari 'yon and we're both drunk. We forgot to use protection that day. Three weeks after we had intercourse, my body started to show signs of pregnancy. At first, akala ko wala lang, then nagsimula na nga akong magsuka, mahilo, pakiramdam ko rin ay sobrang pagod ako kahit wala naman ako masyadong ginagawa. Napansin ni Mommy 'yon and asked me if I was pregnant. Of course, I didn't know that time that I am pregnant so I denied it. And you know my Mom, she bought me a pregnancy test and ask me to take it para raw makumpirma namin, so I did. And guess what, the pregnancy result shows two lines and that means I'm carrying a child, no, a children to be exact, inside of me.

"I don't know what to feel that time. Naghahalo-halo ang emosyong naramdaman ko no'n. Days after I take the pregnancy test, nagkayayaan tayong magkakaibigan na kumain. Plano ko sanang sabihin sa'yo no'n, but I remember you telling me that you don't want to have a child. I got anxious dahil baka iwan mo 'ko at hindi mo 'ko panindigan, so I lied to you. I told you that a guy I met in a bar impregnate me and broke up with you," mahabng kwento niya.

I was left speechless. I don't know what to say. Hindi ko masisisi si Grace for lying to me that day. She's also right. I really don't want to have child in past because I thought children are just pain in the head. But I've grown to love children when one of our friends invited me in a charity event.

"I'm sorry, Grace. I'm sorry for not being there habang nagbubuntis ka. I should've been there. It must be difficult for you while carrying the twins. I'm really sorry," I apologized repeatedly.

"You don't have to feel sorry, Hera. I should be the one apologizing for not telling you the truth and for not telling you earlier that you have a children. Kung sinabi ko lang sana ng maaga sa'yo, makakasama mo pa sana si Amarie ng mas maaga. She always asked me about you, you know. They always wanted to meet you," she said.

I looked at her with my eyes filled with tears. The memories that I made with Amarie from yesterday started to flood inside my mind. Her lovely and adorable smile. Her warm hug that made me feel like I'm finally home. I suddenly miss her. I didn't even had the chance to tell her how much I love her and how lucky I am to have a sweet, adorable daughter like her.

"H-How did A-Amarie died? Y-You said e-earlier that she died along with your mom and brother," I asked.

Saglit itong natigilan. "They died in an accident ten months ago. Amara was with me that time, while Amarie was with my mom and brother. They are planning to go on a mall, but Amara happen to have a fever so I took care of her habang pinasama ko naman si Amarie kila Kael. While they were om their way home, a drunk truck driver hit their car. Someone called on my phone that day, they told me na nasa ospital daw sila Amarie. I called Crystal, our friend, and told her to take care of Amara dahil nga kailangan kong pumunta ng ospital. Pagdating ko sa ospital, sinabi ng doktor na sa akin na dead on arival na raw sila.

"Pakiramdam ko gumuho ang mundo ko nang malaman 'yon. Hindi ko alam ang mararamdaman ko no'n, Hera. Hindi ako naniwala pero noong dinala nila ako sa morgue, para bang 'yung natitirang lakas ko biglang nawala. Sobrang hinang-hina ako nang makita ang walang buhay na katawan nila Amarie. When I touched their cold bodies, parang mas lalo pa akong nanghina. Their bodies and faces were full of wounds and scratches. My daughter, her delicate and little body were full of bruised and wounds. Hindi ko nga namalayang humahagulgol na pala ako sa loob ng morgue kung hindi pa 'ko aluin ng doktor. If I only know what's going to happen, hindi ko na sana sila pinatuloy. I'm an irresponsible mother, Hera. I'm sorry," mahabang kwento niya.