The Devil's Dance

Music: Devil's Dance Floor - Flogging Molly 

## 2nd rewrite ##

'But nothin' ever came, From a life that was a simple one
So pull yourself together girl, And have a little fun'

                                Flogging Molly, Devil's Dance Floor

*** ***

Standing by myself in the coffee shop dining room, I took a shaky breath. The room felt so empty now. That man's presence had been so big, so intense.

Sighing, I pulled out the money Sexy Suit had put into my pocket. Looking down as I unfolded it, I felt my eyes widen as twin Benjamin Franklins gazed up at me. I was speechless, $200 would be excessive even if his service had been excellent and given what had happened with his drink...

Who in their right mind would give a tip like that? We basically wasted a quarter hour of his time and he left without even getting what he came for...

It must be a mistake. He probably meant to hand me a couple of ones out of pity and would be in for a surprise when he realized. I wasn't sure what to do, I could use the money but it felt dishonest. If I hurried I might be able to catch up with him and return it. I stood there for a moment staring at the bills in my hand.

"Dee, Travis is talking some crazy story that you pulled a knife on him?" Carol walked in from the back. She was chuckling to herself, apparently she hadn't believed him.

"Sorry, Carol, I'll be right back!"

I pulled my apron off, tossed it under the counter and ran out the door. The coffee shop opened onto the corner of an intersection. Pivoting in a 360, I scanned the pavements for for the mans large suited body. Down the side street I spotted him walking next to the row of parked cars.

I shouted to him but I didn't know his name. He was probably to far to hear anyway. I trotted after him, using my hands to keep my cotton skirt from flipping up. I called out to him again. He heard this time, coming to a stop next to an alleyway. Turning around, his lips curled into a half smirk.

"Esperas."

Huh?

"Te llamo luego." He pulled a blue tooth from his ear and stood there gazing down at me.

Oh.

"Mamita, I'm flattered that you want me so badly that you'd chase me down, but sadly, I'm in a hurry." His tone was solicitous.