chapter 5. One Step Back One Jump Forward

There were two types of people. The ones who jumped around happy to go home and then there were us, the ones who didn't want to go home.

"Let them go and let us stay! It isn't fair for us!" Others started protesting. I sat back to watch what unfolds.

"If the majority of you wish to participate again, we will reset the game. Goodbye for now." With that, he turned around and left. We were escorted out one by one. At some point, they had drugged me, leaving me to pass out in the arms of one of the staff members. When I had woke up, my hands were bound in front of me and I had a blindfold over my eyes. I was still inside a car as I had felt the bumps of the road as well as the sound of the engine. It wasn't at all loud, but it was identifiable.

Soon the car had stopped, and I heard the door open. Someone had picked me up surprisingly gently and placed me on the ground outside the car. They use two fingers to bring down the blindfold.
I smiled once I saw the triangle mask,
"Thanks, pinky, you will come to get me later won't you?" I wasn't too loud just in case I was to wake up or alert anyone if there was anyone else in the first place.
"In a few hours" like always, they sounded slight robotic but nice at the same time. He threw another person out and promptly shut the door and the car sped off. At least he was nice enough to tie my hand in front unlike the chick next to me.

"Hey, can you please help me I can't untie this"
Both her hands and legs were tied behind her and it was only when I looked at her that I noticed that we both were naked with the exception of underwear.  I used my teeth to chew and rip through the tight-binding before turning to the other girl and helping untie hers.

"Thank you really" I nodded at her,
"My pleasure"

We quickly put on the clothes we had on the day we went to the 'game room' if that's what you call it. Mine was just a shirt with tracksuit pants.

She stepped in front of me and held her hand out "Um, my name is Ari"

"Hello, Ari! You doing alright?" She nodded her head, fiddling with her fingers.
We didn't say anything to each other but we had walked over to a nearby store and had bought a few things to munch on. She had paid for it seeing as I didn't bring any money if I had any. It made me feel ashamed.

We sat on a bench outside the store, pretty much scoffing the food down "Thanks Ari, for the food I mean"

"It's alright" she replied with a mouthful. I put my food down, looking at the steam before turning to her.
"Mind my asking, but how old are you?"
She was quick and blunt with her answer.
"I'm 17"

"Why were you participating in the-" It confused me, she was so young but she too was struggling.

"My mother and father are struggling with money and a man came up to me and told me I could earn money by playing games. I thought it was the best thing to do without having to sell myself or anything like that"

I crossed my eyebrows, anger and sadness slapped my lungs and kicked my heart. Nobody should have to do or think stuff like this. What's wrong with the world? God if you're real, you're doing a shit job in helping your so-called children.

"It's going to be ok"
I grabbed her opposite shoulder and brought her into a hug. It was the best thing I could do.
"You want to go back?"
I took a breath in, and let it out.
"Yeah, I want to give my brother the life he deserves, not one with a broken house and money problems."
That reminded me of how he would react when I got home. Scared, angry, it's all a mystery until I face it.

We walked for a little bit before I told her my goodbye, be safe and be strong. My home wasn't too far, maybe a few streets down and across.

When I got there there was a small light coming from behind the curtain. Dal must be home, we don't use the electricity to often so we could save money, candles are the only source of light most of the time.

"Hey Dal I'm home" I shout out to the darkness, the sliding and shuffling of his slippers came around the corner from the dining room.

"You okay?" He grabbed my face squishing it before I could get my shoes off properly.
"Yeah I'm fine"

"Sometimes a note isn't going to cut it" I hummed at his statement, he let go and crossed his arms.
"They want to hire me"
He wasn't smiling,
"But?"  Since he wasn't I will, to make sure he knows I'm happy for him no matter what.

"But they want me to move places so I wouldn't be too far away, they'll pay for the accommodation until I'm able to do so myself." I smiled wider.

His tone got slower and deeper, like when he would as a kid so he wouldn't cry, "They said you couldn't come."

"Hey, that's great! That's such a big deal Dal, I'm so proud of you!" I threw my hands around his neck "One step forward? More like a jump."

"What you're not upset, you want to stay here?" He questioned.

"Of course, but I have something to do myself," I squeezed him in my arms before letting him go.
"We should go to bed, it's late."
He agreed.

Trying to find comfort from the broken mattress was something extremely difficult. Within less than a few hours of tiring rolling around, a knock came on the door.

Quickly changing into a long sleeve and leggings I ran down and swung open the door. Nobody was there, but there was a black van sitting in front of the house.

Taking a deep breath, I whispered,
"Love you Dal" Before running down to the van. I hoped in only to be hit with gas for the 3rd time in two days. I don't think this is good for my body.

---------------------------
(1073 words) Edited
Meh but ok
It got the jooobb done.