Chapter 16: Hope

(Yuno's p.o.v.)

I got contacted by Klaus, and he told me that the bandits had been beaten outside the village Noelle went to. So I hopped on my broom flew there as fast as I could. After half an hour of flying, I met Mimosa and Klaus, who had almost arrived at where Noelle was. I saw that there were two people down there with her. As soon as we landed, we all saw that the bandits were all killed, or stunned. Klaus asked Noelle, "What happened here, Noelle?" She explained everything that happened as well as introduced us to Yuji and Todo, who had defeated most of the bandits. I asked them, "What brings you two to Clover?" Yuji answered, "We're travelers, out for some adventure across the continent." Klaus said to them, "Thank you for assisting our comrade here." Todo said, "Don't misunderstand, we didn't assist Noelle, we were just defending ourselves. We told her as much before you three arrived." Klaus looked at Noelle, asking if what he said was true, and she nodded. That told me that these don't like Noelle for some reason. "Um, I can see that you don't like Noelle too much. May I ask why?" Mimosa nervously asked the two travelers. "Because you aristocrats don't deserve hospitality." Yuji answered. We were all shocked by that reply, never have I heard someone outright say that to a royal or noble. Klaus asked them, "What do you mean, we don't deserve hospitality?" Todo furiously replied, "YOU CAN'T SERIOUSLY BE ASKING US THAT?!! THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL THAT ANYONE CAN BE THAT OBLIVIOUS!! YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THE REASON BY NOW?!!" His outburst was surprised all of us once again. And honestly, at the time, I thought I knew a little about what he meant by that. Noelle answered them, "Yeah I know what you're talking about." Klaus and Mimosa looked at Noelle, curious about she was going to say as she continued, "You said just before the bandits showed up, that aristocrats don't care about anyone or anything but our own wealth and status, that we would use anyone as a pawn or tool to insure that we keep both. And I know that you're right. The nobles and royals have done many unforgivable acts, not just to the Commonwealth but to members of their own families. I was mocked by the Nobles and bullied by my own brothers and sister for being unable to control my magic, and even blamed me for our mother's death. But, the worst thing they had ever did to me was rob me of the first friend I ever had, the one who didn't mock me for my lack of control, who actually reached out his hand and offered to help when no one else would. And the reason they did it was so they could save face. For that reason, I despise the nobles and royals, I even hate myself for sharing their disgusting blood!" We were all shocked to hear what Noelle just said, even Yuji and Todo were surprised. But their surprised expressions faded from their faces and Yuji asked Noelle, "Your friend, is his name Asta?" We were shocked even more than earlier, this man practically says that he knows Asta. "Yes, it is! How do you know?!" Noelle gleefully asked him. "We meet on our travels last year, along with his brother." Todo answered Noelle, but his answer left us speechless. I mean, how can Asta be traveling with his brother when myself and the kids at the church are here in Clover Kingdom. I asked, "Wait, brother?" "Yeah, the devil in his grimoire, Liebe. Turns out he's Asta's adopted brother." Yuji's answer just gave us one more surprise to this long night. The two travelers explained the story that Asta and his brother Liebe told them, about how Asta's mom adopted the devil when he was a child, and about how she died. The devil in the shadow palace was a threat, but from what Yuji and Todo told us, this Liebe doesn't seem to be an evil being. We talked a bit more until Klaus said, "Well, we better contact the others magic knights for clean up, and then go report to the Wizard King." The three of us nodded in agreement and said farewell to the travelers. Klaus contacted HQ as we made our way to the Wizard King's castle.

When we arrived, we walked to the Wizard King's office, to submit our report on the bandits' defeat. When we went in we saw Wizard King Julius with Captain Yami and Marx. We saluted and I said, "Sir, the bandits have been taken down." "Well done, all of you. Now let's hear what happened on your mission." The Wizard King said. Yami got up and said, "Well I'll get out of your way and head back to my base, I hope those idiots did demolish the place." I said to Captain Yami, "No sir, respectfully, you should stay and hear our report. There's something that you should hear too." The Captain looked at me for a few seconds and sat back down in his chair. We proceeded to give our report, we included, the two travelers, Yuji and Todo and their involvement, and also their encounters with Asta, which Captain Yami obviously was happy to hear. The Wizard King said, "It's good to hear that Asta is doing alright, and there will be so many people who'll be happy to see him come back home." The last part left a sad expression on our faces, knowing what Asta had said to Yuji and Todo. The Wizard King and Captain Yami noticed our expressions and Captain Yami asked, "What's wrong? You all look depressed?" I decided to tell them what Yuji said to us. "There was something that Asta said to Yuji and Todo...... Asta said he has no intention of come back to Clover Kingdom ever again." Julius, Yami, and Marx were shocked by the sudden news. The Wizard King, still with a shocked expression, asked, "But why?" I said, "Asta finally had enough with the aristocrats' unjust treatment and moreover he feels that we all betrayed him because no one came to help him during the trial." Captain Yami had a look of shame on his face. The Wizard King said with a sad expression on his face, "I see. I can't say that I blame him, he put up with discrimination for all his life, but he still stood tall with his head held high, and he gained many good friends along the way, and what did we do for him in return, leave him to the wolves. It only makes sense that he hates us now." We all hung our head low in shame at what he said. "Sir, I'm not giving up on Asta." We all looked to see who said that, and it was Noelle. She continued, "Asta saved me from despair when I joined the black bulls, and now I want to return the favor by saving him from his anger and hate. I know it won't be easy, I know that he way never forgive us for abandoning him in his time on need, but if I can at least get him to understand why we weren't there, then that will be enough for me and maybe over time he can bring himself to forgive us." We were all amazed by Noelle's resolve, it gave us all hope.