☾ 21

__________
Even death has a heart
__________________

Days left until the competition: 44

Park Sunghoon was sitting in his living room, casually scrolling through his phone when he heard his father yelling for him. With a sigh of annoyance, the boy shifted in his spot, hands clenched tightly around his phone as he watched the furious man tramp into the room. He looked up at his father in an expressionless manner, though on the inside the boy was shivering. Sunghoon hated his father, despised the man for how he treated his own kid after the death of his wife and Sunghoon's mother.

The boy was left in an emotionless pit when he looked at his father or thought about him. He was always reminded of how cruel and harsh he was to his own son. All Sunghoon wanted was to pursue figure skating like his mom who was very famous because of it. He was always amazed over how it seemed so calming to glide freely over the ice with perfect balance—something he finally perfected.

"I told you not to get involved with that girl! She's in your competition! What if she's just trying to bring you down!" His father's voice roared, snapping Sunghoon out of his temporary trance.

"You've been ignoring your lessons! You're wasting my god damn money!" His father mindlessly went on and on but Sunghoon couldn't focus on what he spat out.

"If you don't win this...this competition, I'm sending you off to the States! Boarding school can deal with you!"

Sunghoon's eyes bored into his father in surprise. Boarding school? So he's going to ship me off to a whole new place now!? Without my consent??

"You can't do that—" Sunghoon professed, getting up from sitting to now eye level with his angered father.

"Oh, trust me young man, I can. If you fail to attain first place, you'll be shipped away from that wretched girl."

Sunghoon turned away, biting back his urge to argue with his father so he just shrugged, rolling his eyes at the man who stood in front of him. His father scoffed, clamping his fingers on the ring that was clinging around his thick finger. He struggled, but successfully pulled the ring off his finger, throwing it at Sunghoon. Surprised, Sunghoon watched the ring hit him, falling on the marble floor with a click.

"I don't need this anymore." He said through gritted teeth, walking away from the boy who was left dumbstruck. Sunghoon bent down, picking up the precious ring that his mom would have cherished. Sickened, he held onto the ring, clenching it in his hand tightly, eyes locked on the back of his father, watching the man exit the room without a care.

He placed the ring in his pocket, knowing too well he couldn't just leave it there. With a shake of his head, running his fingers through his hair, the boy left the living room, isolating himself in his bedroom. He plopped himself down on his bed, recalling what his father recently drilled into him.

Boarding school? In the USA? Away from his friends?! Away from the person who his heart mourned to see everyday..? Sunghoon couldn't see himself doing something like that...never. He had to do everything in his power to keep first place, even if it meant to overthrow the girl who played with his heart every time he saw her. Staying with her was something he wanted to do.

After hours had passed of Sunghoon restlessly laying on his bed, finding it hard to fall asleep, the boy was struck with the vague idea of going to the ice rink to calm himself even if it meant sneaking out at 12 in the night. He cleaned himself up, dressed himself in fresh clothes but kept the ring on him, holding it dearly. He carefully exited the house without being heard, walking to the Ice Rink all alone in the stillness of the cold night. Going there was a way to calm his mind of all the thoughts running rampant. He just wanted to be at ease.