When I made it up the steps, I found Mr. Belafonte on top of a white woman! He didn't even notice me standing there. He was very bold to leave the bedroom door open. But I guess he didn't expect me or his wife to be back any time soon. 

The world thought the Belafontes were a happy couple. That's because that was the image they presented to the public. But behind closed doors they argued constantly and sometimes the verbal disputes turned physical. Still, I didn't know he was having extramarital affairs. But then I figured maybe that's why his wife was so unhappy.

I was sure to leave before Mr. Belafonte saw me. I didn't want to lose my job! I felt really bad for Mrs. Belafonte. She was always so sweet towards me. And though I always tried to keep it professional with her, she considered me as a friend and preferred for me to simply call her Onika.  

Later that evening when both of them were home, I noticed there was silence between them as I gave them their dinner.

"I'll be having to go to New York tomorrow. To look at a script for a movie", Mr. Belafonte finally spoke to his wife.

"Oh really? What's the movie about, Harry?", Onika asked in a suspicious tone.

"If I knew I wouldn't have to go read it! What's with the damn third degree, Onika?!", he asked angrily.

"What's with the guilt, Harry?! Are you going to see some whore?!", Onika angrily asked. Earning a slap across the face from Harry. But Onika wasn't the type of woman to take a licking and keep on ticking. She slapped his ass back!

"Didn't I tell you to keep your fucking hands to yourself?! I'm tired of your bullshit, Harry", she yelled.

"Well if I'm such a problem then take the ring I gave you off your damn finger", he yelled back.

"That's not a bad idea! There! The ring's off! You can have it back", she yelled.

"Stop it, Onika! Put it back on", he said more calmly.

This is why I never sold my old house! Just in case I ever decided to leave you! And that's what I'm doing! Leaving you! And I'm taking Beyonce with me", she said. I paused from washing dishes when I heard my name.

"I hired Beyonce! Neither of you are going anywhere! Stop this nonsense now, Onika", he said. He grabbed her and kissed her lips. But she pushed him off of her.

"That may have worked in that movie you did with Eartha Kitt. But I ain't Eartha! And I know about the affair you had with her, too", Onika said.

"What about you and Marvin Gaye?!", he asked. There was a big rumor back then that Onika and singer Marvin Gaye were messing around just because they did a song together and had great chemistry on stage.

To that Onika said, "You know there's nothing going on with me and Marvin so don't even try it, Harry! And you hired Beyonce for me! I'm the one that asked for a live in housekeeper! So find yourself another maid and another wife while you're at!"

"You're crazy, you know that?! We're not ending our marriage! What will people think?!", Harry asked.

"All you care about is what people think! But you don't give a damn what I think or even care about how I feel! I'm gone! Come on, Beyonce", she said.

"Yes, Mrs. Belafonte", I responded.

Harry followed behind us. Apologizing and begging Onika to stay. But she refused. She packed a few things and told me to do the same.

"Beyonce and I will return later to get the rest of our things", she said to him. She then took her ring off and threw it on the dresser.

_______________________________