Chapter 24, Milo

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

I thought I knew what chaos was, but it's nothing compared to Ellis' mind right after the hospital called.

He drove us all the way to the hospital, and almost crashed the car three times. Esmeralda had to hold on to me for dear life to keep from crying. Hopefully, we were there before we could blink, and he didn't even wait for us to get out and immediately sprinted inside. Right now, a nurse is coming our way, while my brother is anxiously fidgeting with his fingers.

Esmeralda is chewing on her nails, when a red haired nurse in scrubs stops before us, Ellis chirps. "Cleo York. Is she okay ? I want to know what the fuck happened to her ?"

I put a hand on his shoulder to try to calm him down, and make a note to myself that I will be doing the talking, because he definitely isn't in his right mind, at the moment.

The nurse only nods, and looks at the notebook she's holding in her hands, "Miss York is finally stable, she'll get through it. She actually just woke up a few minutes ago, and you can see her."

Everyone releases a relieved breath we didn't know we were holding. Thank fucking God. Esmeralda's best friend and I aren't the closest, we've only seen each other a few times, but both my girl and my brother care for her, so I guess that means she's family too.

"What exactly happened to her ?" I ask.

The nurse finally throws us an understanding look laced with pity, "She didn't want to say anything. From the bruises and cuts on her face and body, it looks like someone did it to her. She refused to take a Rape-Kit."

Esmeralda gasps, and a small whimper comes out of her mouth. I tighten my hold on her hand. Someone better have not hurt Cleo, because if Ellis finds them, I don't think they'll be alive to talk about their altercation with him afterwards. I know my older brother enough to know how dangerous he can become. I look over to him, his jaw is clenched, his fist are balled tightly, and his eyes are bloodshot. This is not good.

"Thank you." I speak tightly.

The woman directs us to Cleo's room, leading the way. When we're arrived, she knocks once and opens the door.

Goddamn, if I didn't gasp myself when I see Esmeralda's best friend. She is laying in the hospital bed, wearing scrubs, so the only visible injuries are on her face and arms. She had bruises on both of her eyes, there are deep cuts on her cheeks, and her nose looks like it was broken then rearranged with the way it's bleeding. Her arms are heavily bruised. We can't even see her features clearly. She looks genuinely surprised and scared when she sees us walking in, but when her gaze settles on Ellis, I could swear that fireworks light in her brown eyes with emotions I can't place.