Chapter 36

Ananya Prasad

“Do you want to go home or you want me to book a room in this hotel?”

Those words ringed in my ear throughout the journey back home. I felt disgusted with myself. In that moment, I didn’t mind that sentence, now that the adrenaline has calmed down, I can’t believe that I said that with my mouth and with that expression.

And that sneer and mocking in his tone, disappointment  in his eyes made me feel like a prostitute.

How dare he treat me like that when all I did was defend him in front of everyone?

Instead of being thankful, he is making me feel as if I am a whore.

That ungrateful bastard.

I am the stupid one who started to think that he is a nice person. How can I forget how he gave me and everyone hard time in the hospital?

How can I think that he is a person instead of the arrogant, cocky devil he is?

Just because, I got a little close to him, I forgot that he is the devil.
And what was I thinking that he needs a knight in shining armour to defend him?

He is no damsel in distress and I am not some knight to do his rescue. He can manage himself. I am the emotional one who couldn’t stand what was being said about him. And it served right for me to interfere in his matters. No one ever humiliated me like him.

By the time we reached home, I am fuming with anger. He is dead meat today. He got down from the car and slammed the door hard.
I too got down and slammed harder than him. He turned and looked at me with fury in his eyes. I didn’t care about him and entered the house.

Why is he being angry? He should be kissing the road I walked, but no. He is busy throwing tantrums.

As soon as I reached our room, I went directly to the wardrobe and took out my pajamas and started going out of the room. I cannot stay in the same room with him.
He is sitting on the study table and looking at his phone probably waiting for me to change and come. He looked up at me and the clothes in my hand surprisingly not expecting me to leave the room.

When I was about to open the door and exit the room, I heard his authoritative voice.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“None of your damn business", I replied matching his tone and proceeded to open the door.

“Ananya, come back this instant"

I turned around and asked him with a dangerous edge in my voice, “or what?”

“Oh  you don’t want to know", he replied with a promise in his words.

“ Please, I want to know”, I said in a mocking tone and threw my clothes on the bed, came in front of him and folded my hands.

“Come on, do your worst", I provoked him.

All I am seeing is red and right now, I don’t care about the consequences.

“Ananya, don’t test my patience. We have a surgery tomorrow. Just come and sleep"

“Tell me one reason why should I sleep in your room, on your bed with you when all the evening you made feel like I am a whore when all I did was to help you save your face in front of your relatives?”

“Did I ask your help? Did I ask you to do that?” he asked me calmly.

I didn’t reply and just glared at him.

“What? Cat got your tongue? Do you think you helped me by saying all those things? What do you think will happen when we get divorced? Do you think they will let go what you said today? We will be much more humiliated”