Chapter 22

Arjun Kashyap

I hate complications. I just wanted a simple and peaceful life. See what happened. I have only heard what happened to me happen in books and movies. I got married to my fiancée's sister. Oh, I forgot to tell you the silver lining. She hates me. I don't know what to do with my life.

I am lying in my room. Today is my first night after marriage and my wife went to work. I still can't believe Ananya is my wife. If anyone told me that I will marry her just one day before, I would have admitted them to an asylum. Her luggage is in my dressing room proving that this is not a nightmare. I know that she will never accept me as her husband and she will always see me as the person her sister loves.

Also, I got my shift roster for the next month and I see that she booked her shifts with all other chief residents except me. I am not dumb to understand what this means. She doesn't want to see my face. Still, we will see each other since our shifts overlap but there will be minimal interaction. On second thought, I think it is good to not see her. It will be awkward to stay alone with her in the same house, so if we work in different shifts, it might be bearable.

I looked at the necklace that I bought for Sharanya to give her on our first night lying on the nightstand. My anger rose again. Strangely I am not heartbroken or depressed. I am just angry and hurt that she betrayed me. I sighed and called her. Her phone is switched off. Srikanth told me that she might not have a network as she is shooting in a remote location in South Africa. If only she had trusted me and told me, I would have stopped the traditional marriage and done the court marriage to avoid the consequences so that she could leave and we could have married when she came back. Now my life is complicated and the peace that I craved from married life will never come to me. She broke my trust and betrayed me.

I tossed and turned the entire night. My head is exploding with all these thoughts. I only slept in the morning. My mom woke me up at noon. I went down to eat. There is a gloomy atmosphere in the house. Everybody is lost in their thoughts. I know this affected everyone in our house. We became a laughing stock in front of our relatives and we had to make everyone sign NDA to stop them from discussing the situation. I know there will still be rumors.

"Arjun", I am brought back by my mother's voice.

"I know it is difficult to digest what happened. But you have to move on. Pinky is your wife now", my mom started.

"I know mom. I am not heartbroken. You guys can relax. Ananya and I are friends before all this. We have a good relation. So don't worry about us", at least they can stop worrying.

"Did you talk with her?" my dad asked.

"Yes, dad. She told me yesterday before going to the hospital and she called in the morning to check up on me" I lied to them.

Everybody visibly relaxed after I told them this. The tension in the air seemed to dissipate.

"Good. You should go and pick her up once her shift ends" my dad told me.

She will kill me if I go and pick her up.

"No need dad. Since she went with Sid, he will drop her. She told me not to come" my mom told me that Sid dropped her at the hospital since they have the same shift.

"No Golu. You have to go and exchange the necklace you bought for Sharanya. I don't want Ananya to wear something you bought for Sharanya. And also pick her up" my mom told me.

I reached the hospital at 9 PM and after half an hour she and Sid came to the parking lot talking with each other. They saw me and stopped where they are and started discussing animatedly glancing at me. I rolled my eyes. They are not even hiding the fact that they are talking about me. Great.