10 ◇ fear

Border of Wakanda - Wakanda, Africa

"WANDA... " VISION SPOKE sternly, "It's time."

As much as I hated to admit, Vision was right. Thanos had made it to us, and our only hope of victory lied in the destruction of the final stone.

Like we were nothing but child's toys, Thanos tore through our team with simple swipes of his gauntlet, the purple power stone taking control over even our strongest; first Bruce and T'Challa, with the others failing one after the other.

"No," Wanda gasped, her lips quivering.

I stood behind her, watching Thanos approach us. The raccoon, Groot, Okoye, Natasha, and Steve were the only ones left between us and the Titan.

"They can't stop him, but you can," Vision persisted, his eyes locked with hers as he begged her to do the unthinkable.

Meanwhile, she was shaking her head, her hazel eyes darting everywhere but with Vision's.

"Look at me," he requested simply, his tone incredibly calm for a man who knows his time is up. "You have the power to destroy the stone."

"Don't!" Wanda begged, choking on the simple word. Ahead of us, the raccoon and Groot were tossed aside.

Five avengers left between Thanos and Vision.

"You must do it Wanda, please," Vision insisted, "we are out of time."

"I can't—"

The pain in Wanda's voice broke me. I felt for her; if the roles were reversed I don't think I could do it either, even with the stake of the universe at hand.

"Yes, you can," Vision told her, grasping her hand. "If he gets this stone, half the universe dies."

Okoye threw her spear at Thanos, but in a purple haze the spear was tossed aside, with Okoye doing the same only a second later.

Natasha was on her heels, only to be solidified into dirt columns bursting from the earth.

Three avengers left. Steve, me, and Wanda.

I glanced at Steve, making eye contact with the stoic captain. He gave me a curt nod, and I returned it.

This was our final stand. We all had to make it count, even though the odds were stacked against us.

Steve left out a battle cry that echoed in the woods, and launched himself at Thanos. I didn't wait to watch whether he succeeded or not - he was the one to get closest to engage the Titan, and I needed to prepare myself - and Wanda - in case Thanos made it past Steve.

"Wanda... " I began, grasping her shoulder. For a split second, her gaze flickered to me before directly going back to Vision. I gripped her shoulder in solidarity. She needed to know I had her back.

"Whatever you chose," I said grimly, "I'm with you. Til the end."

I felt Wanda's body trembling under my hand. Vision still held onto her palm, and he and I shared a final look of goodbye. A tiny smile graced our lips for one fleeting moment - I was glad to have known him for our short time together.