Chapter Six: Ezlar's Theory

If Aine's jaw was any looser it would've already fallen to the floor.

"I... I don't... I don't know what that is, sir," he stammered. His hands immediately clammed up.

"I think you do," the Lataro said. "Let's go have a talk."

The Lataro opened the door and held it for Aine to walk passed him and out into the dining hall. He followed the Lataro from the dining hall through the corridors to his private office.

Inside he had Aine sit at the small couch by his large desk and then moved around to sit in his chair.

At first Aine waited for the Lataro to speak, but all he did was sit and stare, like he was waiting for Aine to speak.

Finally the Lataro spoke after what seemed a very long time. "I've heard about your... let's call it a dilemma. And is it also your last year here?"

"Yes, sir." Aine had his hands on his knees and kept pushing the heel of his palm into his leg. He felt his skin twist and looked down at the red marks. He let the tension seep from his fingers, settling them loosely in his lap, but he had a strong urge to do something with his fingers while he sat. Nervousness poured through his body and he jerked toward the edge of the cushion. He felt his stomach clench at the thought he was going to be thrown out for stealing.

"I wasn't going to steal anything. I was going to put it all back!" Aine exclaimed.

"Calm down, Aine. You're not in any trouble."

"I'm not?"

"No. What I'd like to know though is how many of the items have you procured for the ritual?"

"I have found the candle, the tea; I have copper pieces in my room, and now the plate of iron. I had looked for a silver bell or the Ordathian Amulet."

"Don't worry about those. I will handle the rest."

"You're really going to help me with this? You're not... unsettled about it?" Aine asked.

"No. But, we don't perform this any more because of how dangerous it is. Are you sure you want to go ahead and do this?"

"Sir, I have run out of options. I don't know why I never got my powers but I am willing to try anything, even rituals that can foul the brain and leave me no better than a vegetable."

"Even at the cost of your life?" The Lataro stared down his nose at Aine.

"I'd have nothing to lose. If I don't have my powers, what value to society am I?" Aine asked with a shrug.

"That's true. If you are not a use to society then you are nothing." The Lataro nodded in agreement. "Once I have located the two other items I will send a letter to you about performing the ritual."

Aine jumped to his feet. "Thank you for your support going forward!" He bowed deeply at the waist.

"Goodnight, Aine," the Lataro said and Aine headed for the door. As his hand took the doorknob he heard his name. "Leave those two things."

Aine turned around and feeling heat bloom across his checks he put down the platter of iron and from inside his satchel he took out the tin of jasmine tea. He set them both down on a small table by the door.

After a few days Aine had still heard nothing. No letter. No messenger. No one came to him to tell him if the ritual was happening. Nor even that the Lataro wanted to see him. He looked down at the floor and wondered if the Lataro had been serious or only playing along to get him back to bed.

He sat with his back against the wall listening to Master Riodin. The scholar was handling their After Saziel, class and was going over different things they would need to know once their life at the academy had finally come to an end. He watched the back of Lyr's head who sat a few feet in front of him, only two students between them. He occasionally caught her looking to her left, trying to sneakily see if he was watching her. But the second she'd catch his gaze she'd look away. The worse part was Aine knew what she was doing. It was a petty play she acted, ignoring him while needing to know if he was bothered by the fact she wouldn't talk to him.