"Is it to your majesty's liking?" Shaugn leaned over and whispered.

Xoan nodded and shoveled another spoonful in his mouth. "I haven't had curry and red beans and rice in a long time."

"Oh?" Shaugn raised a brow. According to the chef, this was not something they'd made before. How did Xoan know this dish? "You're familiar with this dish?"

He paused for a moment with his spoon in the air. "It's...a common dish in the south."

"Why is that?"

"Lot of spices grow there." He stuffed his mouth full so he could stop talking.

Shaugn's eyes narrowed. According to memory, Xoan never mentioned anything about the south's cuisine. Before he could inquire further, there was a loud clanging sound drawing everyone's attention. The seventh consort, Iksa, threw her napkin on the table with disgust.

"Take this schlop away. Bring me something more fitting."

Sieh smirked. "Does the food not appeal to your tastes, Iksa?"

She turned her nose up. "How could you eat this? There's so much flavoring, you can hardly taste anything else."

"That's right. Where you're from, they only use salt and pepper as seasoning." Jazzaia, the first consort, spoke for the first time.

There were chuckles and giggles as Iksa's face turned pink.

"We have other seasonings."

Shaugn raised a brow. "Such as?"

Iksa blustered for a moment before she spit out, "Basil."

There was laughter in response. Her face turned red and she clenched her hands into fists.

"Is that it?" Maryam asked with a small smile.

Dane shook his head. Even though he was a military man, he was accustomed to seasonings of home. Spice was life. "Remind me not to eat anything if I ever visit her kingdom."

She stomped her foot on the ground. "How rude."

Shaugn smiled. It was only too easy to sow seeds of discord in the harem. Good. He wanted them to tear each other apart. He poured a little oil on the fire. "Rude is thinking your tastes are more refined than your husband, the emperor. The emperor enjoyed this...what did you call it?"

"Schlop," Dane replied.

"Thank you, Dane. Yes, schlop. The emperor enjoyed this slop immensely. Are your tastes more refined than his majesty who has traveled all over the empire?"

As if the air had been sucked out of the room, the smiles were put away and everyone looked at Xoan. Xoan's eyes were narrowed as if he was angry.

Iksa paled. "Your majesty, I-I didn't-"

The messy male consort, Goren, leaned over to Dane and whispered, "Oh, honey, yes you did." Dane snorted and shook his head.

Her eyes welled with tears. "I-"

A scream and the sound of dishes breaking sounded throughout the dining hall. All the adults rose from their seats and turned to the children. A nursemaid was on the floor holding the side of her face. The first prince was standing over her with a glare on his face.

"How dare you try to force this prince," he roared. " I said I won't eat it."

'Oh no the hell he didn't,' Shaugn thought to himself. The consorts sat back down while the maid began to apologize. Sieh rushed to her son's side. Unsure if he should intervene, Shaugn gave Xoan a look.

He simply nodded giving permission. "Do as you please, empress."

Shaugn walked over to the group. Sieh was berating the nursemaid who was still on the floor groveling. One of the younger children was crying while the others ate with their heads down. No one noticed his approach until his fan opened with a loud flap.

"Incompetent wench! I'll have you beaten within an inch of your pathetic life," Sieh yelled, kicking the nursemaid.

A modern man with modern ideals regarding the basic treatment of humans, Shaugn felt his blood boiling. As the descendant of a slave, seeing servants being mistreated touched something deep inside. His eyes narrowed and his voice dropped low. 

"Let me tell you what you not gone do."

------------------------------------------

*Hope you're all well! Am I the only one whose Wattpad was on crack the last few days? It's got me thinking I might have to move somewhere less problematic.