CHAPTER 18: The Pawn

The game changes with every move you make. The pawn should be stopped before it reaches the last row of the chessboard and become someone to take down the king. ~Anonymous

"We need to hold this wedding," Adriano said.
He has been explaining to everyone including Jane that he needs to pause this wedding due to his business and everyone had been just telling him to think of some other way and not to pause it.

Finally, after almost 20 minutes of him explaining to everybody and apologizing to Jane, they finally agreed.

We were all seated for breakfast. Jane was near Adriano who sat in front of me, Again!
She was smiling and trying to get his attention but his eyes never left mine. I felt bad for my sister. She doesn't deserve this. This is the mess I created and now she has to suffer. I glared at him, warning him and telling him not to stare at me. But he didn't budge. When I turned my eyes towards Jane, she was already looking at me with an unpleasant expression. Oh god! This is what I didn't want. She thinks I am trying to destroy their relationship.

After a long, awkward time, finally, the breakfast ended and everyone went to their respective work. Jake had his school. Grams went to meet her friends and chat at the park, Mr. Angelo and my dad went for a business meeting nearby. Only me, Adriano, mom, Mrs. Angelo, Jane, and the twins were left. Aunt had gone somewhere early in the morning and no one knew when she would come. This is it! This is the time we'll have to find the truth. Honestly, I am too scared about it but it's the right thing to do. I don't want revenge, I want justice.

"Why don't you all go and do some shopping. Jane will have to go to work from tomorrow. Today is the only day she will be free. Being a company lawyer is a tough job" Adriano said. He was wearing his classic all-black three-piece Armani suit, with a black tie, a golden Rolex on his wrist, and black shoes.

"Why does he always have to look this hot?" I thought.

"What about you Alice?" Mrs. Angelo asked.

Adriano looked at me with raised eyebrows, waiting for my reply. I ignored him and said "Well, you guys know my sense of fashion is far different from yours. I'd love to stay here rather than go with you guys. That would be so much better." I said with a smirk.

"Okay as you wish Alice." She sighed and spoke again "Shall we go ladies? " Mrs. Angelo said.

"Yes!" The twins said in unison.

I could see Jane having an uncomfortable expression on her face but she soon changed it into a smile and hugged Adriano.
"I'll be back soon," She said and kissed his cheeks. They all left soon after that.

I turned towards him and folded my arms. "You said we shouldn't make them doubt but you're making it obvious"

"I couldn't resist you and your beauty," He said coming towards me probably for a kiss but I took a step back.

"Look Adriano, I know you want to help me and I am very grateful for that but this," I said while gesturing between him and me "whatever this is between us needs to stop. We are not the same people as we were 6 years back nor is our situation. Everything is different now. I've gone through a lot and I am not ready for this."

"I am craving it," I thought.

"After all of this is over I want to create a life for myself and love and marriage are not what I want. I want to study and have the life I've always wanted. I think you should move on with your life because I wouldn't be able to do this. Plus, Jane loves you and all you're doing is breaking her heart. I don't want that. Also, I think I've fallen out of love with you" I said.