No.10 Search of Desperation

Unbeknownst to Y/n, Kaeya was also fighting to maintain his cold demeanor. He'd just told the girl that he loved so desperately: go anywhere but back to him. He instantly wanted to retract his words, but even the previous prince of Khaenri'ah had no way to make amends for his words and actions.

His steps were small and trudged as he walked further and further from the woman he adored so devotedly. Kaeya had finally stopped when he saw Diluc and Jean engaged in a conversation, which ceased as the two realized that Kaeya had returned alone.

"Where is Miss Y/n? Kaeya, where is she?" Diluc insisted as he balanced himself and clenched his fists by his side. Kaeya only walked past the two he used to trust the most after Y/n.

"She's gone. She's going back home to-... Inazuma." Kaeya's voice caught itself in his throat as he recalled the blatant lie he had told Diluc. His pace slowed down upon hearing both the Acting Grand Master's and his brother's cries of disbelief.

Kaeya only gave one last look to them with a half hearted smile. His eyes were filled to the brim with agony; his smile, pained. "She's in a safe place now." Kaeya spoke, more so to reassure himself than for anyone else.

~~Diluc's POV~~

He watched his adoptive brother continue his way away from Jean and himself. It'd always been this way when it came to despair.

There it was,

That damn smile.

The smile of Kaeya's that was just filled with hurt and suffering. It was his coping mechanism, so it's not as though Diluc shun him for his reactions. If Kaeya was feeling this way just from the conversation that you and him shared, he could only guess that you were hurt as well.

You were polite, and very cautious about your words. For you to say something intentionally hurtful to Kaeya seemed strange to say the least. Yet, Diluc knew so little about you in terms of character and self-preservation. He was only ever the man who brewed your drink; the brother of your beloved.

Diluc saw his claymore a few feet away, and he tried to walk to it. However, since his adrenaline was practically deflated, he collapsed after maybe three steps.

"Dammit-" He grimaced while holding his stomach and gritted his teeth.

As much as Diluc wished Kaeya was weaker, he surely knew how to dedicate his heart to fighting for something. Jean kneeled beside him, checking to make sure that he was okay before looking to the side.

"I've never seen Kaeya like this..." she began, her eyes trailing into the direction that the said man walked. "Miss Y/n said something peculiar. She claimed that 'If we don't hurry, there will certainly be a life lost to Kaeya's hands.' What did she mean?" She asked Diluc, causing his eyes to evade hers.

"It's- things are just very complicated for those two at the moment. Their relationship thrives on the short amount of time spent together, but there was someone that Kaeya saw as a man that had ruined it all for him." He answered vaguely, and she seemed content with his summarization.

"If he did in fact threaten another man's life, I'll have no choice but to discharge him from the position of Cavalry Captain of the Knights of Favonius." She solemnly thought, but Diluc was quick to interject.

"Nothing happened, it was all just a large misunderstanding." He tried to cover up, but she only furrowed her brows and pursed her lips into a thin line. "Then who's blood was that on the road when Miss Y/n and I arrived?"

He could only chuckle in response, knowing that it was his shoulder that was bleeding. Of course, it wasn't noticeable since he had a black overcoat on. Once pointed out though, was very prominent.

"Kaeya's, obviously. His inner arm was cut accidentally and he's probably going to tend to it by himself." Diluc lied, mainly to spare himself the embarrassment. Jean only sighed once again and stood up.

"Master Diluc, what are we going to do?" She asked in a melancholic tone, and he grunted while standing up as well.

"I'm going after Miss Y/n. She needs to see what her absence does to Kaeya, and how much he needs her. I may not be the ideal brother, but I still want him to be happy." He spoke, and she nodded before walking away and in the direction Kaeya departed.

"The Winery, in three days time. Find Miss Y/n, and I'll bring Kaeya as well." Jean instructed, and Diluc gave a mere nod before turning and walking in the opposite direction.

He was nervous to say the least, even more so at the thought of you refusing to return. That didn't stop him, and he was determined to find you, for both you and his brother's sake. Diluc would never be the man to admit it, but for Kaeya, he would move heaven and earth to make him happy.

He was his brother, perhaps not by blood, but he was still the same boy he grew up with. The same man that now visited Angel's Share to check up on Diluc every now and then. His father took him in, dubbing him with the Ragnvindr legacy.

But, after Crepus' death, Kaeya felt ashamed of himself. He no longer thought himself worthy of Diluc's father's name. And so, he became Kaeya Alberich.

From the mornings of their childhood, to the evenings at the tavern, he was always there. Yes, there was a time Diluc despised him. For what reason, in all honesty he couldn't recall the root of his hatred. Maybe it was his grief, perhaps his pent up anger from his father's passing.

Whatever the reason, it left their sibling relationship in ruins. Now, Diluc had the chance to make things right and prove to himself that his father's judgment was in fact correct about Kaeya.

They were as different as could be, like oil and water. Both liquids, both used for a multitude of things, yet completely contrasting.

The ground was uneven, the dirt path covered in various-sized footprints. It wasn't until he looked up that he realized a few dozen meters away was someone kneeling on the and looking at the sky.

He squinted his eyes, pupils dilating under the bright light of the sun. It was then that the realization hit him, and Diluc quickly walked towards the figure. Your hair was in a side braid, your grip on your pole arm weak as it laid beside you.

"Lady Y/n... it's okay, it'll all be alright..." Diluc whispered, slowly leaning down beside you and observing the copious tears streaming down your cheeks.

"He doesn't want me anymore. He told me not to return... Master Diluc, what am I-" He cut you off by bringing your face close to his shoulder and holding you delicately.

"Come, let's talk about it on the way back. You can stay with me at the Winery, since it's a ways away from the city." Diluc offered, and you were silent before nodding and standing up beside him.

You began the walk back to Mondstadt, your grip delicately holding the fabric of Diluc's coat between your fingers as you kept looking at the ground. Your steps were slow-paced, your expression filled with sorrow and confusion.

"I don't think Kaeya and I should marry..." You spoke, causing Diluc's head to turn to you as more tears bubbled in your eyes.

Oh my gods...

What did Kaeya do?

Word count: 1277