14: Play Date

It's been a few days since the last time I've seen Oliver.

After the evening we spent together at his family's mansion, I do have to admit that I feel a little closer to him than I initially did. He told me that he'll come by often to help me figure out this whole human contact thing. Even though he said he was willing to lend a hand, he doesn't seem thrilled about the topic. It makes sense, I guess. I'm like a ticking time bomb. Wasting the hours away with an unpredictable monster wouldn't be my ideal situation either.

We still haven't pieced together what exactly it is that'll trigger our connection, though, so I'm kinda at a loss here. Is it something I have to do? Is it something he has to do? Is it something both of us have to agree upon?

This would be so much easier if Eliza was here.

The thought of her had me scowling out the kitchen window. I know we had good memories together. (Or at least I think we did?) And I know she did the best she could, but it would be a little better if she had the guts to show up and physically help me out. Then again, if she's not my human contact, I'd probably end up killing her. Which, in hindsight, would be pretty bad.

I don't think I'd be able to face her again anyway.

The only clear memory I have is of her fearful quivering eyes.

Not the most uplifting image to reminisce about.

"Chewy," I turned to his small plush body sitting on my undusted kitchen table. "Do you think Eliza and I are broken up?"

His button eyes were exhausted.

"Yeah, I think so too, buddy. Is this what it feels like to be broken up with over text? 'Cause if so, it should be illegal."

"What should be illegal?"

I nearly snapped my neck trying to see who the hell snuck up on me like that. A sigh of relief poured out my mouth when I was met with a curious ocean of black.

"Oliver! Dude, you scared the shit outta me!"

"Really? That's a first. Your door was wide open, so I just helped myself," he snickered, mirroring the smug image of his father's billboard. "Imagine being scared of some puny human. Couldn't be me."

"You have really quiet footsteps, okay?! Somebody's gotta put a bell on you or somethin'."

"Don't blame me. Blame my ten years of ballet."

"Remind me to send in a formal complaint," That's when it hit me. "Hold up. Olly, it's Wednesday. Shouldn't you be at school, you ditcher?"

Oliver shook his head innocently. "Uh-uh. Parent-Teacher Conferences are today. Of course, my parents aren't going and Toni's at track practice, so I decided to hang out with you instead. You're not thinking of strangling me for it, are you?"

"No, no, no! It's totally fine! Just...where were you these past few days? I was lonely." I sarcastically glowered at him, conjuring up my best glare of disapproval.

He attempted to make the same face back at me, but it only ended up coming off as adorable. "The last time I saw you was Saturday. Sunday, I spent time with Toni. Monday, school. Tuesday, school. Today, break. I was thinking about coming to see you on Monday and Tuesday, but I thought that you'd get pissed at me for not being at school or not doing my homework. Besides, you have Chewy with you," He paced over to the table, picked up Chewy, and held him to his chest like a baby. "Don't worry, Chewy. I'll take care of you. Is this mean man neglecting you? Is he?"

"Okay, Oliver, I get it!...But speaking of homework-"

"I already predicted you were gonna say that!" he cackled maniacally and marched back to the living room. Keeping my eyes on Chewy, who made a mocking face at me, I trailed after Oliver. "And because I figured you would say that," He posed next to a sorry looking cardboard box in the middle of the room. "I brought this!"