JAKE

I pulled back the curtains to reveal the sun rising steadily above the ocean. Unlike Sophia, I'd taken to waking up before my alarm even rang. Between the rooster crowing and the soft sound of the waves washing over the sand, it was as if my body had decided to attune itself with the nature surrounding it. I didn't mind. I'd always been an early riser. Both of my parents were, and to be honest, it was one of the few traits I didn't mind sharing with them.

In fact, some of my fondest memories with them, which were few and far between, had been on those weekend mornings when we'd all get up with the sun. My dad would make pancakes while my mother and I did the crossword at the kitchen table. Sometimes we'd go on a hike, and even though my dad would bring along the football, and my mother would quiz me about the different flora and fauna of the area, I didn't mind because it was fun. For me, mornings have always meant opportunity.

Besides, I enjoyed waking up before Sophia. It gave me a chance to make my bedhead look presentable, and more importantly, catch a glimpse of her adorable, half asleep, and exceedingly grumpy self when I dragged her out of bed. And I got to see her grateful smile when I handed her a cup of coffee.

After I got dressed in my typical work outfit: board shorts, loose t-shirt, and a generous layer of sunscreen (I was not making that mistake ever again), I checked my phone. I was pleased to see a slew of messages from Danny, and a text from Brooklyn. I was decidedly less thrilled to see emails from both Cambridge and BU, and seven missed calls altogether from my parents.

Danny: BABYSITTING?!

Danny: you must really be in love dude

Jake: Its not like I volunteered myself

Jake: you make me sound like a lovesick puppy or something

Danny: duh

Danny: you literally are

Brooklyn: call us! bea misses you! (and i do too i guess)

I sighed, feeling guilty as I read my stepsister's message. I know it would mean the world to her if I went there for university, and I didn't want to disappoint her. I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

"Jake!" I heard the distinct sound of Sophia's voice echoing through the house. I'd be lying if my heart didn't beat a little faster.

"Coming," I called back, shoving my phone in my pocket as I headed to the kitchen. I found Sophia sitting at the edge of the counter, spooning granola and yogurt out of a kitschy looking bowl that I knew without a doubt Abby had made in some pottery class. "Look at you, Little Miss Early Bird."

Sophia poked out her tongue at me, "Oh shut up, Sherlock."

"Good morning to you too, Randall," I laughed, tugging on her usual KVE ready ponytail as I passed. "You about ready to head out?"

She nodded, swallowing the last bit of her breakfast. I watched as she slung her backpack over her shoulder, and grabbed her baseball cap. She looked so damn cute in that hat, let me tell you.

Sophia was just cute all the time, really. In my opinion, at least. I let my mind drift back to that day on the couch when she told me to stay. When she told me she needed me. That had to be a sign. Didn't it?

Plus, just like— objectively speaking, we'd make such a hot couple. That picture Maia had posted the other day was proof, even if it did make me look a little like a dopey, starstruck goof. A very photogenic goof though.

Was stupid Tommy with the yellow heart that photogenic? Was he?

"Dude," Sophia waved a hand in front of my face, and I snapped back to attention.