SOPHIA

I never wanted to go on the trip in the first place.

That was what was running through my head as I navigated the crowded airport. I hated traveling, for myriad of very valid reasons. I was more of a homebody, preferring to stay in my room with a cup of tea and a good book. I liked consistency, routine. I hated anything that took me out of my comfort zone, which consisted of the surrounding cities and towns of my hometown in Massachusetts.

Hawaii was extremely far out of my comfort zone. Curse my older sister for moving across the Pacific Ocean. She was literally the only reason I was doing this.

Abby was the more adventurous one. She enjoyed things like snowboarding and zip lines, rock climbing, cliff jumping. Anything that ranked high on my list as capital T terrifying, she loved. Abby craved that adrenaline rush, while I balked at driving in the snow.

My school's senior trip this year was white water rafting, I almost didn't go. If it weren't for my two best friends, who basically had to drag me on the bus, I probably wouldn't have. It was basically one of the most horrible experiences of my life. I mean— I nearly drowned.

It hadn't always been that way. Sure, Abby had always been more of a daredevil. And I had aired on the cautious side. You had to when your older sister was jumping out of trees to see if she could fly. Someone had to be the voice of reason.

People used to think it was hilarious. Here I was, this tiny four year old, reprimanding eight year old Abby about chasing a ball into the street. We hadn't gone to such extremes until— well, until the accident.

When I was ten years old, my mom died in a car crash. Abby was fifteen at the time. It hit both of us hard. Our dad had never been in the picture, so we'd been taken under the care of our Grandma Rose, who I loved more than anything. Now, Abby was twenty two and living in Hawaii. She had left Massachusetts the second she graduated high school, no plan, no college, no nothing.

That was Abby. She dove headfirst into everything, no fear. Meanwhile, once this summer was over I was headed to Wellesley College. A mere hour train ride away from my grandmother's house. Not only was I going to a college close to home, but I was going there with my best friend since kindergarten. I knew what major I was picking, what classes I wanted to take, everything. Basically, the complete opposite of Abby.

Anyways, back to my point. My summer had been hijacked. My last summer before college, I had wanted to spend it with my friends, in my hometown, doing everything we normally do. But nooooo, Abby had found an amazing job opportunity for me in Hawaii. Oh, and she was more than happy to house me for the summer. No matter how much I protested. Both my grandmother and Abby seemed to think it was a wonderful idea.

"It'll be good for you, Soph," they'd said. "It's going to be so much fun."

I sincerely doubted that. But the Randall women were stubborn. I should know. In any case, I was currently rolling a black suitcase around Terminal A, my favorite backpack slung over my shoulder.

Security had been a nightmare. No I was not smuggling weapons under my clothing, I just had a metal bra strap, thank you. I was just relieved that I was running on schedule. One of my biggest airport fears was missing my flight. I was also looking forward to sitting down. I'd started the Agatha Christie novel I'd bought for the plane on the car ride here, and I'd left off right at the climax. Yes, I was already halfway through the book. Yes it was supposed to be for the plane. Hey, that was what the four backup books in my carry on were for, okay?

I passed a boy around my age wearing headphones. His foot was tapping on the carpeted floor. I glanced briefly at his phone screen to see what he was listening to. Judging by the football pin on his dingy duffel bag, the gym shorts, and the letterman jacket peeking out of his carry on, I was assuming something either rap or country. I knew boys like this back home. The football players. In fact, I'd bet good money that this guy's name was Brad or Chad or something equally frat bro- esque. I couldn't stand guys like that. Could barely stomach a conversation with them beyond, can I have the answers for homework? No.