Chapter 39: Follow the Clues

Começar do início

"Nothing personal," Azar said, grinning at him.

I swooped in, patting down the pockets on Zachary's coat and pants. I found his phone and quickly pulled it from its hiding place, jumping backward as Zachary tried to lunge at me. Azar pulled him back making a tsking noise as he held him still.

"Hey, that's my phone!" Zachary shouted, glaring at me.

"Ugh, it's locked," I groaned, swiping at the screen. "Care to give me your code, or fingerprint?"

Zachary looked spitting mad, his pale face flushed red with rage. "What, so you're a thief now, Massey? What's your damage, huh? Still trying to get me in trouble for your dumb painting?"

I glared at him, waving his phone in my hand. "Drop the act, we know you took the footage of my attack."

Zachary paused for a moment, his features relaxing. A smile crossed his face as he spoke. "Oh, you know, huh?"

I was stunned by his change in demeanor, glancing over at Azar. "Yeah, I know. So, unlock this phone and show us the video!"

Zachary chuckled lightly, his attention turning over to Azar. I watched as he began to pull apart his hands, Azar suddenly straining to hold him still.

"What the hell?" The Fire Elemental swore, struggling to keep his hold on the young man. Zachary chuckled louder, twisting his arms and then throwing his whole weight into Azar, shoving him halfway across the dance floor. I spun around rushing to his side.

"Azar! Are you okay?" I asked, beginning to kneel. He waved me back, jumping up quickly as he summoned his staff to his hand. There was a flurry of flames and I stood back to avoid the heat.

"I'm fine!" he shouted, glaring over at Zachary. "Stay behind me, Diana."

I did as Azar bid, all while Zachary watched us from his spot ten feet away. As he stared at us Zachary took off his coat, dropping it on the floor. He was rolling up the sleeves on his uniform shirt when a small group of people began marching in from the back room. They quickly moved to block all of the exits, a few walking over to stand by Zachary. I looked around frantically, searching for an escape; all the while I reached out with my power, trying to decipher what these newcomers were feeling, but there was nothing.

"Something is wrong with these people," I whispered to Azar.

"We might have bigger problems than a few extra humans," he responded, his eyes locked on Zachary. I glanced back over at our foe, who was staring at me, much in the way he would ogle me in the past. I could feel Zachary's desire and determination from where I stood, it seemed oddly familiar.

"I'm so happy you finally made it," he called out, smiling broadly. "Too bad you brought one of your insipid bodyguards."

I stared at him, studying his features carefully. Zach didn't seem like his normal self. He seemed much too happy.

"What's going on here?" I demanded, edging myself behind Azar. Zachary glanced around, gesturing to the people surrounding him who all stood motionless, blankly staring off into the distance.

"We've been waiting for you, princess."

I let out a scoff. "You have?"

"Dammit, it's a trap," Azar hissed, cursing in Terrarish.

"It is? But how?"

Zachary smiled as he clapped his hands together. "I wasn't sure if you would figure it out, but I'm glad to see you picked up on my clues."