24. Pinoy in Canada

Começar do início

As she approached, Maia observed Mommy Rose busily moving about the small cottage. She knocked gently before pushing the door open.

"Good morning...po..."

"Maia...come...come in...sit down. Gusto mo ba ng pritong itlog?" Mommy Rose said cheerfully. Across from the island counter where Maia sat, was a small kitchen. On the counter were two place settings, a basket of bread, a small tray of breakfast spreads and butter.

"Po?" Maia was shocked. The lady in front of her was very different from Chuck's Mommy Rose whom she formally met the day before when they arrived from Manila. Because it was a chilly Canadian morning, Mommy Rose wore jogging pants and a sweatshirt similar to what Maia was wearing. Her hair was tied back, and she had no make-up on.

"Gusto mo ba na medyo basa yung dilaw? Ako kasi, gusto ko yung medyo crispy yung gilid..." Mommy Rose said while pointing to the plate of eggs in front of Maia with her spatula.

"Ka-kahit ano po" Maia stuttered.

"Sa yo na yang itlog sa plato..." Mommy Rose continued and cracked two more eggs into her pan.

Maia watched, dumbfounded. Mommy Rose saw Maia's reaction and smiled. "Sige na, kumain ka na habang mainit-init pa yung pandesal. Andito yung kape sa coffee maker." Mommy Rose said while looking at the ordinary looking coffee maker at the end of the counter, near the window.

Maia cautiously spread some butter on her pandesal and filled it with some of the eggs that she cut up. Mommy Rose amusedly watched her while cooking. A few moments later, Mommy Rose poured herself some coffee then sat next to Maia. She tore a piece of pandesal and dipped it in her coffee. Maia tried to hide her surprise.

"Ganito talaga ako mag-breakfast." Mommy Rose said with a smile. "Ah, gusto mo ng ham?" Mommy Rose asked.

"Okay na po ako dito, thank you po"

"Magsabi ka lang kung anong gusto mo pang kainin"

Maia shyly nodded and continued eating in silence. "Dito talaga ako nag-b-breakfast. Mas gusto ko dito kasi tahimik at walang istorbo" Mommy Rose shared. "Nung lumalaki sina Chuck, sa kusina kami madalas kumakain. Ginagamit lang namin yung formal dining room kapag may party. Tsaka, pwede akong kumain ng daing dito" Mommy Rose giggled.

"Po?"

"Oo, nakakabili kami ng daing at bagoong sa Asian market." Mommy Rose stood up and opened the cabinet in front of Maia. The shelves were well stocked with familiar grocery staples and condiments. "Paborito ni Chuck yung pansit canton. Si Dino, yung Lily's peanut butter. Si Rick, mahilig yun sa chicharon"

Amused, Maia shyly asked, "Eh kayo po?"

"Daing at champorado! Hmm...yun ang breakfast natin bukas. Pero dun na tayo sa loob kakain." Mommy Rose said. The cottage was rather small and could only fit about 3 adults comfortably.

Mommy Rose returned to her seat and continued eating. Maia slowly loosened up as they spoke about Maia's life and Chuck. "Ako na po ang maghuhugas" Maia volunteered after their meal.

"Ah. Iwan mo nalang yan dyan. May dishwasher tayo para dyan. Paglabas natin, papasok naman sina Becky para maglinis dito." Mommy Rose said gently. "Masasanay ka rin..." Mommy Rose continued, sensing Maia's discomfort with her new lifestyle. "May mga gawaing bahay pa rin na ako mismo ang nag-aasikaso. Kaya sina Chuck, marunong din ng mga gawaing-bahay kasi pinalaki ko sila na ginagawa yung mga yon. Dati ring simple lang ang buhay namin. Nung nag-highschool sila, lumipat kami dito at nagkaroon ng staff. Sina Chuck, pinag-boarding school ng Lolo nila kaya di rin nila naranasan masyado na may nag-aasikaso ng mga gawain para sa kanila. Kapag umuuwi sila tuwing holiday, sila pa rin ang nag-aasikaso ng mga gawaing-bahay tulad ng paghugas ng pinggan o paglabas ng trash."

"Good morning!" Chuck greeted as he peeped inside the small cottage.

"Good morning!" Mommy Rose and Maia turned to the door and greeted Chuck. Maia stood up and got a cup of coffee for Chuck.

Mommy Rose amusedly watched Chuck and Maia. "I'll leave you two here first."

"What are our plans today?"

"None, really. Why don't you give Maia a tour of the city? If you decide to shop, call me and I'll follow."

"Okay! Love you, Mom!"

"Love you, Son. Love you, Maia."

Maia smiled and nodded. "Thank you po ulit"

Mommy Rose smiled. Before stepping out of the cottage, she turned to Maia and said, "...call me Mom."