[ 002 ] the smile of death

Start from the beginning

On this occasion, it made him feel better about dying.

"You should drink this." she said softly. She handed him a water bottle, the liquid scintillating majestically in the light.

Although he wasn't thirsty, Jim took it from her hand graciously and unscrewed the cap.

She crouched down beside him and smiled that same sympathetic smile again. "Jim . . . I'm — I'm really sorry about what you're going through." Marley stuttered, placing a soothing hand on his bony shoulder. "And I would stay here with you, but . . . I gotta find my sister. For once, I wasn't watching her and now I can't find her. It's my fault . . . I'm really sorry, sir."

The tears that welled in her eyes were a product of the past twenty-four hours. It had been a horrifying turn of events from a peaceful campfire, listening to Dale's intriguing story about his watch as they nibbled at the fish Amy and Andrea skilfully gathered, savouring the taste of good food. Then, the walkers came . . . Amy screamed, and it was all downhill from there.

Now, Sage was missing and Jim was bit.

Nothing could be worse than this.

In his fever-induced stupor, it took Jim longer than usual to think of something to say, and even longer to say it aloud. Marley didn't mind, though. She merely adjusted the cap on his head with a tearful smile and pushed herself up from the ground.

However, when she turned to walk away, Jim caught her wrist with weak fingers.

"It's not your fault," he assured, pressing his lips together and shaking his head. "It's not your fault that you needed time to grieve. Sage is a smart girl . . . she won't be far. Trust me, kid."

So she did. Marley trusted him.

Sage won't be far. She's a smart girl.

"You can't blame yourself when somethin' goes wrong."

She nodded.

"Thanks, Jim."

Adjusting his cap one last time, Marley left him to bathe in the cool shade of the trees as she took off to scour the remnants of camp. The group was still talking by the RV. Arguing. Agreeing and disagreeing. Crying. Frowning. All of the above. Daryl was having his say. Rick and Shane were shutting his idiotic ideas down. Andrea was still crouched over Amy's body.

Marley moved past them all and headed down to the quarry.

The lake was glistening beneath the sun.

Sage liked the lake. She liked the water. She liked to watch it, to feel the tiny waves crashing beneath her calloused fingertips, to stare at the aquamarine surface as it engulfed her toes. She liked to watch it, to let the feel of it fill her with glee, because she couldn't hear it.

Marley immediately cursed herself for panicking before thinking logically. Why hadn't she thought to look here? Why hadn't she used her initiative? Perhaps that was her downfall — throwing herself into a fit of panic before actually using her brain.

Sage would have scolded her for it if she knew.

The stones beneath Marley's boots wobbled precariously. She didn't care too much. She was more focused on finding Sage to give a damn about potentially falling over and scraping her knees. Sage was her priority.