Chapter 18

These last months plagued with misery had gone by in a blur. While Layla slowly lost herself in a sea of depression, the love of her life had somewhat moved on.
He hadn't bothered about her whereabouts or at least tried looking for her although she had a gut feeling he knew where she was. Maybe he just didn't care anymore, maybe he had fallen out of love with her.

The first month being the most excruciating, had her feeling like an obsessed teenager. She couldn't think properly, couldn't function at the least. Everything reminded her of him, the male who gave no second thoughts before ripping off her band-aid.
Pain became a familiar feeling, weeping became a daily routine, gloom moved into the apartment she shared with her best friend. At some point Kay's exceptional attention and love weren't enough to keep up with her dying friend, she had to inform Layla's family of the state of their daughter.
It was a disaster!

Kay tried talking sense to her friend, tried making her see reason but all those fell on deaf ears, an empty stomach, and tear-drenched eyes.
Had Xaviar bewitched her?

The female spent the entire time staying indoors avoiding the prying eyes of the media. How would she face them after all?
He had already humiliated her to a point of no return.
Almost every day, Tabloids and social media paraded pictures of her husband and girlfriend, they looked so happy together which Layla couldn't understand why.
Had she died?
Had she seized to exist?
Why was the world turning over her page when she was very much alive?

By the second month, the situation seemed manageable. It felt like something had snapped in her, bringing about a drastic change.
One day she was wailing her eyes out refusing to stomach anything and the next she was up early, already showered and making breakfast. Kay was beyond astonished but decided against questioning Layla on the sudden change. Maybe she decided to be strong for the little bunny currently in her oven.

Fiddling with the key, I finally unlocked the door to our apartment, Kay moves in before I do as she chuckles at the little jokes we were throwing at ourselves on our way from the gym.
My mom had talked me into signing in with Kay at the gym after extensively educating me on its pros given my pregnancy. In her own words exercise can help strengthen my pelvic floor muscles, also improve hip mobility and improve blood circulation which will help prepare my body for labor.

It was obvious how happy she was given she would be a grandmother soon, I mean, my whole family felt the joy, Kay included. The baby had somewhat lifted a part of the burden, I was proud of the fact that despite how terribly my marriage was, something beautiful was created in it.

"You know it's a beautiful Saturday" She started

"And??"

"We should go clubbing" a bright smile appearing on her face from her suggestion

"clubbing?? With a baby in me "

"come on Layla! The bump isn't that visible. Besides we should have a little fun" She pushed on leaving where she occupied to seat beside me

"I don't -know Kay, won't it be too much?"
I knew I was in a better place right now and I just didn't want to do anything wild that would attract attention.

"too much??" She chuckled
"baby in case you haven't noticed everything we do is too much " that was enough to get us both Laughing.

"Just think about it though" She ended as she helped me up.
We both headed to our various rooms to freshen up.

A feeling of warmth surrounds me as the water cascades on my skin, I welcomed it gladly, closing my eyes, letting go of all the negative pent-up emotions.
I could feel my muscles slowly relax, my worries and fears going down the drain along with the water.