Ch. 43 - SAID THE SPIDER TO THE FLY

Start from the beginning

"Then what is the point?" Liam asked as Mason and Corey each take one of Liam's arms and lift him to his feet, though he does nothing to bear any of the weight of his body, causing Mason and Corey to stumble in their effort to drag him out of the room.

"The point is that summer's almost over. We're about to be seniors. This is about to be the best year of our entire lives, and you're still captain of the lacrosse team, so come on and-"

When Corey and Mason attempt to drag Liam backward out the locker room door, they trip on Liam's feet and all three of them tumble to the floor making Avalon sigh and pinch the bridge of her nose. "Alight, get up. I'm sick of your idiotic shit." Avalon said before pulling her brother up and pulling him down the hall.

"Just because you and Hayden broke up, Scott's going to college and I'm moving to France doesn't mean you're life is over. You have your senior year and lacrosse to focus on. You'll be fine." Avalon said and Liam looked at her, "How do you know?" He asked making her raise her eyebrows at him.

"Because I've both been through break ups before and now I'm moving with Malia. First relationships are rarely permanent. You'll find another girlfriend and you'll be fine." Avalon said and then stopped and turned to him when they made it to the door.

"Now, get your ass on the field and show Coach why you're team captain or else Coach is gonna make Diaz captain." Avalon said and Liam actually looked determined.

A few minutes later Avalon walked up to Scott and nodded making him sigh in relief. They both look out at the field to see Diaz is on a roll on the, easily spinning and dodging the attempts by the other players to block him from getting toward the goal. Nolan, who is playing goalie, looks terrified as Diaz prepares to lob the ball toward the goal behind him.

Just as Diaz forcefully throws the ball at him, Liam appears out of nowhere and does an impressive aerial spin, catching the ball with his lacrosse stick before landing lightly on his feet. Coach, Scott and Avalon run down the sideline watching Liam. "That's how you play lacrosse, McCall! Who is that kid? He's spectacular!" Coach asked making Avalon and Scott look at him weird.

"Coach, that's Liam." Scott said and Coach glanced back at them, "Well, how the hell am I supposed to tell them apart? They're all wearing the same thing!" He said irritably and Avalon furrow her brows. "They've got numbers on their jerseys." She said as her and Scott glanced at each other.

Liam runs toward the opposite goal with the ball until Diaz suddenly appears and tackles him hard, causing Liam to flip backward and land face-down on the grass as the other players shout around him.

Coach looks impressed by the tackle, but Scott and Avalon looks concerned, especially when they hear a low growl from Liam as he tries to get up. When Scott realizes that Liam is starting to shift, he frantically blows his whistle and thrusts his arms outward to communicate that he wants the other players to back off as him and Avalon run over.

When they reaches Liam, they crouch down to see that Liam's eyes are blazing bright gold as he growls uncontrollably. Scott squeezes Liam's shoulders with his hands as he tries to shield Liam's now-panicked face from view, "Liam! Your eyes!" Scott said.

Just then, Coach, looking appalled, starts to shout at them as he walks in their direction, and Avalon grabbed Liam's shoulders and turns him to the side so people don't see his eyes. "McCall! What the hell was that? That wasn't a foul- that's called winning."

Suddenly, the rest of the players, who have gathered around the three, begin to look scared as they whisper to each other. Avalon and Scott look over and their eyes widened before pulling Liam to his feet. In front of the group was a bloody, clearly-injured wolf slowly trotting out onto the field.