Chapter Twenty Seven

As soon as Eren stepped in the arena he felt regret seep in his body

As soon as Eren stepped in the arena he felt regret seep in his body. He felt bad for getting upset at Mizuki, especially knowing that Mizuki didn't mean to imply that he didn't think Eren was going to win.

Eren knew that if Mizuki actually thought he was going to die today he would have simply grabbed him and ran away with him. But he also knew that despite believing in him, he was still afraid of what could happen and Eren would be lying if he said he didn't feel the same way.

He was scared of the possibilities of what today might bring but with all the severe training he had been doing with Arlan he was also confident in himself.

He could do this.

He would do this.

Eren let his eyes roam over the crowd in hope of finding Mizuki to make sure he didn't think he was still mad at him. He wouldn't let this be their last interaction before the battle.

His eyes finally landed on Mizuki who was standing next to Emilio in the crowd and when their eyes met he smiled at him, a comforting smile.

'I love you.' Mizuki mouthed and Eren felt a small smile tug at his lips and he hoped that the look he gave Mizuki conveyed the message he was trying to tell him.

Eren's attention shifted when he heard footsteps approaching him and he looked at his brother as he walked closer to him.

Aslan was geared up in the royal suit just as Eren was with his hair slicked back in a bun as usual. In his hand was his designated double edged spear and Eren couldn't say he was surprised because he wasn't, in fact he was expecting it.

Eren's own long and sharp dagger was clutched in his hand and Aslan's eyes twitched when he saw the switch of weapon since he was expecting a bow and arrows.

Augustus walked in the arena and stood in front of his sons. Looking at them, he realized that one wasn't going to make it alive. That after today he would only have one child. And he knew exactly which one was going to be the one standing alive.

Aslan.

He knew the only person who could inherit the throne was Aslan. He had the same values and ideas as him. Augustus never understood why Eren was such a disappointment but over the years he had lost any kind of remaining fatherly affection he had for his eldest son.

"The rules are quite simple. You each have one weapon of your choice and you can use it to kill your opponents. There isn't anything you can't do except having another weapon in your disposal The battle isn't over until one of you is dead.

There's no backing out once it starts. It doesn't matter how much you beg if the fight has already started it won't stop. As soon as one of you is dead the other will be crowned on the spot and the ceremony will happen in a few weeks. If a Royal member is displeased with the results of the fight they are allowed to challenge the winner for the crown but I doubt that will happen." He said and both sons nodded their heads.