18. Phobia

Summary:

After hearing from Matt, you make a rash decision and head to Boston, where the BAU briefs you about the situation.

Notes:

*song by Nothing but Thieves (bcs they invented music :/)
YALL im sorry i literally did not intend for that last cliffhanger to last so long - and i have so many reasons for it but i apologize a lot lot bcs i never meant it <3
Promise the next one will not take AS LONG but it will probs take some not gonna lie! (we bein honest to a fault lol)

-more family drama, some matt & spencer shenanigans and case talk

------------------------

"What...are you doing here?" Matt asks when he opens the front door of his apartment the next morning, still wearing his pajamas.

He has a full mug of coffee in his right hand, and the smell of it brings comfort. He looks momentarily shocked, but then his face changes when he takes in your small backpack and your car keys.

"Did you travel all night?" he asks softly, worry replacing his surprise, "are you nuts?"

He pushes the door open to let you in and your voice is urgent.

"Is Spencer here? Did he say what happened?"

Your nerves are snapped tight, so you end up doing what you know best: police work. The house is quiet, eerily so, since mornings are always frantic before he leaves for work. You make a beeline for the living room and not once do you step on a toy or marker pen. When you drop the backpack near the couch, you also notice that the whole place is dusted, spotless to the most miniscule detail. Your brother has been stress-cleaning.

"Did Spencer come over?" you ask, glancing at the counter of his kitchen then back at him.

Matt, who's followed you in silence, watches like a hawk.

"He passed by but he didn't stay, since you know..."

Your heart does that thing again, drops to the end of your stomach all while nausea rises up and lingers at your throat, heavy as a stone.

Since Aaron is in danger.

"Since I have kids" Matt says instead, taking you aback, "I told him he couldn't pass the night because..."

"Oh" you cross your arms, "you cleaned up because he's a profiler."

He nods slowly, looks away. "A Lego on the floor would have blown my cover of being a fresh, studious, single professor. But enough about me. I can't believe you're here"

He takes a tentative stop closer, and places a hand over your shoulder.

"I know you're worried, and it's all my fault for calling you at the dead of night but Spencer said they're figuring it out—"

"Matt," you interject, and sit down on the couch just because the world starts spinning at his words. "Please tell me everything Spencer told you. Don't leave out any detail"

"I can do better than that" he says, handing you his cup of coffee, untouched and still steaming, "I can take you to where the FBI is posted"

While Matt drives you to their location – after you both send off his kids to school – you're silently thinking up scenarios, which does you no good. Working in law enforcement is a curse in times when it concerns someone you care about. Kidnapping sounds grave. It sounds terrifying, and it numbs you, because what if it's a serial killer. What if it's an arsonist or a sadist? What if it's someone who's been hunting down Aaron specifically because he's a federal agent, because he's unit chief, because he's put away so many people? What if it's someone who's been plotting it since forever and finally managed to succeed?