24. You Make Lovin' Fun

Summary:

A day in the life, during the summer you'd planned with the Hotchners / *song by Fleetwood Mac

Notes:

HERE a fluffy epilogue <3
(be on the lookout for a small lil 'something')

--------------------------

The sunlight pouring through the windows turns the whole house golden, the heat of the air felt through every deliberate move during the summer season. That is why Jack, Jessica, Aaron and you settle for a slow start of the day.

Pillows and couch cushions are spread out on the floor of the living room since last night when you'd decided it was chiller for a movie night. Jack bounces between his toys, pausing only to stretch and reach out for another sip of his milkshake over the coffee table.

In the small amount of time of being introduced to them by Aaron, the dinners, and the staying over – Jess and Jack had been quick to welcome you. Both of them. Truthfully, you'd had no preparations to make before meeting his son and his former sister in law. If anything, they'd seemed to have gotten a thorough crash course into your life.

That first night – a small dinner, set outside in Aaron's porch, which he'd personally made – they'd started asking you about everything. Jess asked about Ohio, NYC and Boston and your career. While Jack – after meeting Jane and Daniel through a holiday trip Matt did to see Spencer – wanted to know about their next visit. It had been easy, familiar – and with Aaron there to soothe your nerves – a joy too.

You take a deep breath and let it out, and Jess glances your way.

"It's hotter in D.C," she says with a sympathetic smile, "About three degrees more in fact – and don't ask how I know"

You raise a hand in defense, "Now that makes me want to ask, but I'm more concerned over why we are keeping the air conditioner off."

That question is answered when Jack zooms past both of you in the kitchen, bypassing the bowl of fruit for his second ice cream of the day.

"I'm not saying I have a trick for that-" you measure your words carefully just as Jess sighs at his actions, "but Jane and Daniel demand fruits over junk food because of me"

She smiles. "If you can beat Aaron to it in convincing him then go ahead. I'd like to see you try"

You pull up the sleeves of your shirt, a worn-out university shirt Aaron had lend you as pajamas, and place the fruit you'd bought and washed the day before with the Hotchner boys and dump them all over the counter. Jess scrolls through her phone but Jack stops with a mouthful of ice cream and watches you in curiosity.

You cut deftly the bananas, then move to the pineapple and peaches. Jack paddles over the tiles of the kitchen and stops few steps away from you.

"What are you doing?" he asks, looking up at you with a bright gaze.

You stifle the smile that wants to escape. If there's anything kids will do is be curious – it had worked with Matt's kids and even with you a long time ago when he had used this same method with you. You glance at Jack.

"I'm trying out a new recipe"

Jack looks at your platter of fruit then back at you, the small paper cup ice cream in his hand momentarily forgotten. Before he says anything else, you dip a peach slice in chocolate and take a bite. The exaggerated yum and wow so good are not your best acting but it works, because he slowly reaches out for the platter of fruit.