15. Nightclub Love

Summary:

Your relationship with Hotch develops more, and one night in NYC turns eventful
Title from the song by Matt Maltese

Notes:

sry for the late upload yall wish i had a better excuse apart from: fell on my b*tt and couldnt sit down long enough to write lmaoo
BUT i bring u a good one hopefully! w some smooches! heavy flirting! and w bonus subplot!

(also i kno i said i started this story bcs of that song but its also bcs i v badly wanted to write a scene like the one in Marvelous Ms Maisel, (and if u catch the hint <3) so i'm very happy to have done it! lmao)

----------------

You're used to having an irregular sleeping schedule: sleepless nights from research over a case, general anxiety, or just something that had been on your head all day and carried out into the night. What you're not used to is Hotch being the cause of it lately. He continues sending case files, like nothing changed between the two of you in that respect.

But after Ohio, he texts you quite often; says good morning and good night at almost a fixed schedule, and the idea he must have set alarms of sorts is not that wild. You start looking forward to them too, especially after a long day of work. Those messages become a naïve sense of comfort.

Then one night, preceding his text, you call him; and you're a ball of nervousness while the phone dials. Hotch answers quickly.

"Hello?" The deep baritone of his voice sends a warm spark to your stomach, untensing all your muscles.

"Hey! Hi!" Then the confidence fades away, and your face heats up. You hadn't planned on what to say or talk about. "Sorry. I thought talking on the phone could be..." you scramble for the appropriate word: hot? Scratch that. Why is that the first word that pops up? Maybe, a new thing to try out with your kissing partner?

" Nice" you settle, "unless it's not obviously, or you're busy, but I wanted to... try it"

Hotch seems to consider it for a few seconds.

"I'm just mad I didn't think of it first" he says through a huff of a laugh, and something stammers inside your chest, "It's nicer to have you like this"

The feeling of hearing his voice pressed to your ear being just nice goes away quickly. It is sensual. It sends your mind down the gutter very fast. You stand up, blaming it on fact you're on your bed. You take a walk around your place while he asks about your day and you answer, like you're both out on a stroll instead. You ask him about his day and he replies, and soon enough it becomes natural, like maybe you both should have started out with this method of communication right away.

You make a few jokes and he laughs, and by the end of it – your free roaming and the phone call – you're as heated as having been in the sun all day. Happens without Hotch ever mentioning any of your shared moments together (see here : big monumental make out sessions, or stolen kisses right before he left).

Thinking about them though, leaves you in shambles just like when they happened. It does not help that thinking about Hotch renders you giddy and smiley during the day. Then, late at night when he calls – he takes to making those his good-nights – you're buzzing inside your skin, hands shaking a little as if you never once kissed him, while the frustration adds up.

Two weeks have passed when Matt comes to visit you in New York, without the kids. Something in regards to a job position or research he's conducting, and there is no surprise when he drags you out for that New York nightlife.