12. A la Folie

Summary:

*to insanity

A night out with the BAU makes things buried in deep resurface - talks with Hotch, an admission by Spencer, and more.

Notes:

hey all
I kno im LATE ok but i bring u a VERY LONG one and also some stuff 👀 happens 👀 thas all im gonna say

-------------------------------

In the end, you opt for keeping on the suit you'd had during the day. Not because you don't consider wearing something cuter – more revealing and a bit edgier, and your bedroom knows how many clothes you tried on and then discarded – but because it turns out a suit can be flexible. With its buttoned jacket? Professional. Great 9 to 5 look, working girl and all of that. Without it and solely wearing a satin cami underneath – a different one with spaghetti straps and thinner than the one of yesterday – you look ready for nightlife in the city.

Finding the BAU table is not difficult it turns out. You only follow the raucous noise heard since the entrance of the bar. It leads you to two round tables, bumped in together and already hosting a set of drinks. Agents Rossi, Prentiss and Spencer are the only ones there and the sole source of noise. They laugh and drink and when they spot you, they loudly cheer.

"Ah! Finally! More company" Agent Rossi exclaims.

Spencer places a hand over your shoulder, having foregone his strict no-touching rules. While Agent Prentiss smiles at you like a friend would – all wide and knowing. The wave of affection directed your way hits you like a train.

"Hey" you greet with a smile, " – you guys don't look sober at all".

Agent Prentiss grins. "Had pre-drinks with dinner in fact."

"It's a celebration of a case closed" Agent Rossi explains, "and we don't usually spend nights in New York so the kids enjoy it."

"Only the kids?" you ask, pointedly looking at his almost empty glass of whiskey.

Agent Prentiss laughs, "God, I'm so glad you joined. What do you want to drink?"

You let your eyes wander around. The bar is packed, even though it's a weekday, so it doesn't grant you a view to the counter. Or who else is around.

"I think I'll go order at the bar" you announce and all three nod, like that's about the most interesting thing in the world.

You make a beeline – as much as you can when the entire world seems to love bumping into you, or trying to stop you – for the bar. You don't see the familiar faces until you're nestled in between a man and a tiny woman.

"Detective ____!"

You whip around, coming face to face with Agent Morgan, someone you've also likened to Spencer's bully (affectionate – Spencer has clarified many times). He wraps an arm around your shoulders in a very quick, very efficient side-hug.

"You're a woman of your word and you're early" he says through a huge smile, "I liked you since the beginning. Didn't you, JJ?"

The other agent you'd failed to spot nods along with his words. Not seeing her until Morgan pointed her out is a direct consequence of getting used to seeing her attached with a useless tomboy – Tommy, who isn't here.

You know who else isn't?- your mind reminds you but you try to quiet it down.

"I did!" JJ yells out, over the loud music, "Lord, how many times I have talked to a criminal and restrained myself from punching them. There's been too many instances"