"Tears are not for pretty girls like you. Smile for me."

Ella nodded vigorously and eventually smiled. It was not the usual sweet smile. It was a smile that held what one could call sadistic. It was one with hidden mystery.

What did Ella have to share? What was her secret?

___

Unsaved number

Hey, Karmale. I know that by the time you receive this message you'll no longer be an employee at the City Law firm. Pardon my father, it is not by his wanting that he refused to renew your contract. I know you must think it is a grudge but it's not. Meet me when you get this message. We'll talk more. I hope you remember me. It's Elizabeth. We studied together in law school. Just that I didn't make it. I was a stupid drug addict. But guess what, I'm taking the course again. On more ruled out principles this time. Hope to see you real soon. (Heart emoji) Liz.

Karmale was from the washroom when her phone buzzed.

"Liz. Woah! What a pleasant surprise? With more light to it! At least there is a reason to why Mr. Jeopardenn denied me renewal. Wow! I'll have to go see her tomorrow itself."

Hey, Lizzie. I'm happy to hear from you. It's been a while. I'm even happier that you are taking the course again. That's great news. Girl, let's meet tomorrow. We'll talk then. (Heart emoji) K.H.K.

After she had sent the message, she sighed. Her thoughts went back to the harsh conversation her and Ella had had a few minutes before. Then to the one at the KFC restaurant. She had been so secretive and looked troubled; almost scared. She seemed lost and repentant for a weird reason Karmale thought so. Hmmmn. And now they had argued. Karmale was now the one who regretted it. She would have been calm when her best friend wasn't. Instead, she shouted back. She felt guilty.

"Hey, Ella."

"Karma, I'm-"

"No, I should be sorry. I shouldn't have shouted. Ella we have never been at this point. A point whereby we keep stuff from each other. (Sigh) It's disturbing. Nonetheless, I respect your personal space. You can take you're time. You can tell me whenever you are okay with it."

"Thanks, Karma. You should take you're time as well."

"Thanks too. Good night."

"Good night."

The two ladies hang up but Karmale was not content. She did respect personal space. Regardless of whom it had been, she would have said the same thing but today she didn't feel satisfied with someone staying in their shell. She was unhappy. She wanted Ella to tell her something. Not just something but everything.

"Why don't you talk to me, Ella? What has changed? I'm I not your confidant anymore? What has happened to you? To us? Our friendship? Have I failed to be a good enough friend?" The tired lass sighed.

"Ella for old times' sake tell me what the hell is bothering you!" Karmale screamed just as Diana knocked at her door.

"Now here comes the pressure to have dinner. Like I'm a damn kid!" She growled.

"Come in Diana." She sweetly smiled even when inside she was not happy at all.

"Miss."

"Dinner is ready?"

"Yes."

"I'm heading to the bathroom right now, Diana. As you can see, I'm only in a robe. I cannot come downstairs like this."

"I'll wait for you, miss. Have your bath so long."

"Don't." Karmale declined because she had lied. She had just come out of the bathroom not the vice versa.